• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Bayron's populous / powerful

Dear teachers,

A short time back, I met in Bayron's "Darkness" the usage of adjective instead noun. Please see the following lines:

The world was void,
    The popupous and the powerful was a lump,
    seasonless, herbless, treeless, manless, lifeless -
    A lump of death - a chaos of hard clay.

This usage of such replacing is not a novelty for me, for example "poor" "The Poor". However, the interpretation of the meaning of "the powerful" is beyond me.

Could you explain me the meaning of "the powerful" in this case especially ?

Thanks in advance.

V.

Re: Bayron's populous / powerful

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

A short time back, I met in Byron's "Darkness" the usage of adjective instead noun. Please see the following lines:

The world was void,
    The populous and the powerful was a lump,
    seasonless, herbless, treeless, manless, lifeless -
    A lump of death - a chaos of hard clay.

This usage of such replacing is not a novelty for me, for example "poor" "The Poor". However, the interpretation of the meaning of "the powerful" is beyond me.

Could you explain me the meaning of "the powerful" in this case especially ?

Thanks in advance.

V.
    Byron is saying that everyone, whether ordinary man or man of power, will end as a lump of clay - dead. "The powerful" are those in power over others.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

Thank you again more than I can say. Finally I broke the neck of my last task. Owing to you I perceived properly the meaning of the phrase "the populous and powerful". Frankly speaking,I have thought that " the powerful" stands for creatures that are far above the high-ranking officials. I couldn't follow the thread of my thought. Different thought flutter in my mind like entangled warblers in a narrowish cage. I let mine thoughts dwell on the following hypothetical speculations:The Omnipotent, The Almighty, The Ruler of the all rulers",The ruler all kings on Earth, Chaos is ruler of all ("chaos of hard clay"), Maybe we have to think about the Universe consciousness (Darkness had no aid from them, she was the Universe).

I think your statement is right. When we speak about "the populous and the powerful" we have to think only for ordinary populaces, the ranks of the people and for the high ranking officials, the aristocracy and the peerage. Thank you again for your responsiveness, especially for your quick and uncompromisingly mending my posts in broken English. So I have got my fix.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 12-Oct-2007 at 12:30.

Glad to have helped.