verb intranistive or transitive + to infinitive

I would like to ask native speakers of English about the following things.
    “She grew up to be a famous singer” means that she grew up and ,as a result, became a famous singer, right?

How would it be explained that her parents’ purpose for bringing her up was to make her a famous singer in the future.
    “She was brought up to be a famous singer” is correct? I would like to know other variations.
    How about the following? She grew up in order to be a famous singer. She grew up in order to be a famous singer. To be a famous singer, she grew up.

In order to express the purpose, to infinitive should be used with a verb transitive?

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: verb intranistive or transitive + to infinitive

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I would like to ask native speakers of English about the following things.
    “She grew up to be a famous singer” means that she grew up and ,as a result, became a famous singer, right?
    No, no one becomes a famous singer just by growing up. The sentence simply means that she became a famous singer (when)(after) she grew up.
    How would it be explained that her parents’ purpose for bringing her up was to make her a famous singer in the future.
    If her parents' (main) reason for bringing her up was to make her a famous singer, they weren't very good parents
    “She was brought up to be a famous singer” is correct? I would like to know other variations.
    She was raised with the hope that she would become a famous singer. (see below)

How about the following? She grew up in order to be a famous singer. She grew up in order to be a famous singer. To be a famous singer, she grew up.
    Again, simply growing up and becoming a famous singer are not directly related. Of course while she is growing up, her parents can encourage and help to develop whatever singing talent she has.

In order to express the purpose, to infinitive should be used with a verb transitive?
    Not necessarily, see above.
    Thank you very much.
    a
    Last edited by 2006; 11-Oct-2007 at 23:51. Reason: correct spelling error