• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question A sidekick that chirps

"I stared at my sidekick, willing it to chirp. I’d already tried watching the door, but no one had even breathed on it. "

This is from Men Are Trouble by Jim Kelly. This sidekick, what is it here? It is it, not him or her, note. And this is something that is able to chirp. What can it be? (I gave the second sentence to show the context does not help here, and this is the very first two sentences of the book. It's not good that I have problems with, in fact, the first sentence of the book.)

Many thanks,
    Nyggus

Re: A sidekick that chirps

Read on - it will turn up. Since it chirps, it is probably a bird, and possibly a hen/chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "I stared at my sidekick, willing it to chirp. Id already tried watching the door, but no one had even breathed on it. "

This is from Men Are Trouble by Jim Kelly. This sidekick, what is it here? It is it, not him or her, note. And this is something that is able to chirp. What can it be? (I gave the second sentence to show the context does not help here, and this is the very first two sentences of the book. It's not good that I have problems with, in fact, the first sentence of the book.)

Many thanks,
    Nyggus
    Interesting story but you are not going to have an easy time reading it since it is full of metaphor and similie

Here is a website with the story for those that are interested.

The Official James Patrick Kelly Web Site - Men Are Trouble

The person in this story is a detective and on reading further as Anglika suggested I have come to the conclusion that his "sidekick" is a telephone and the noise it makes when it rings is the chirp. However, he seems to be able to see his caller so it might be a videophone of some kind.

I loved this line in the same paragraph

Or having a consult with Johnnie Walker, who had just that morning opened an office in the bottom drawer of my desk.
    Do you understand this? Johnnie Walker is a brand of scotch whiskey. He keeps a bottle in the bottom drawer of his desk. So....he takes a drink (consults with Johnnie Walker) before opening the office for business.

You have some tough reading ahead of you. I think you have chosen a book that may be too difficult for your level of English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    You have some tough reading ahead of you. I think you have chosen a book that may be too difficult for your level of English.
    I am afraid you're right...