• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

isolation as desolation

"After fully experiencing the benefit of living through severe and prolonged winters surrounded by vast emptiness, namely appreciating one's insignificance in the face of nature's force, I began to experience the isolation as desolation and distance from cultural sustenance. "

What is the grammatical function of AS (desolation)? In other words, what's the relation between isolation AND desolation and distance from...? I would say first he experiences the isolation, which comes in the form of desolation and distance from cultural sustenance. Both desolation and distance from ... are the result of isolation. Is this a good writing or bad writing? Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: isolation as desolation

Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    "After fully experiencing the benefit of living through severe and prolonged winters surrounded by vast emptiness, namely appreciating one's insignificance in the face of nature's force, I began to experience the isolation as desolation and distance from cultural sustenance. "

What is the grammatical function of AS (desolation)? In other words, what's the relation between isolation AND desolation and distance from...? I would say first he experiences the isolation, which comes in the form of desolation and distance from cultural sustenance. Both desolation and distance from ... are the result of isolation. Is this a good writing or bad writing? Thanks.

It is good writing.

It is a simile. A comparison using "like or as". Isolation is being compared to desolation and distance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: isolation as desolation

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    It is good writing.

It is a simile. A comparison using "like or as". Isolation is being compared to desolation and distance.
    Can someone further explain this preposition AS? I still think comparison may not work well here. I would paraphrase it in the following way:

At first the isolation produced a feeling of oneself as insignificant.
    Later the isolation produced a feeling of desolation and distance from
    cultural sustenance.

Desolation can have at least two meanings: 1. sad feeling resulting frocm being abandoned, and 2. bleak atmosphere. Which one is more suitable here?