• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

go on through

Dear teachers,

I have read sentences such as:
    The travellers went on through the night.
    They went on to the next town.
    Some people just go on and on.

Then I came across the following sentence in my text:

I'd keep going on through.
    My questions are : first. is this 'go on through' a phrase? second, If it is does it mean 'to the end'? third why can't I find it in my dictionary?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: go on through

‘Go on’ is a phrasal verb. The following word ‘through’, ‘for’ or ‘to’ is a preposition.

The travellers went on through the night. = The travelers continued on from beginning to the end of the night.

They went on to the next town. = They went ahead or continued on to the next town.

Some people just go on and on. = Some people just keep talking away without stop.

Provide more context on “I'd keep going on through.” so we may better understand this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: go on through

Dear Buddhaheart,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand what you explained.

My sentence is from the story 'Going Home'. Vingo said to a girl on the bus

...if she would take me back she should let me know. We used to live in Brunswich, and there's a great oak tree just as you come into town. I told her if she would take me back, she should tie a yellow ribbon to the tree, and I would get off and come home. If she didn't want me, fortget it, no ribbon and I'd understand and keep going on through.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhaheart View Post
    ‘Go on’ is a phrasal verb. The following word ‘through’, ‘for’ or ‘to’ is a preposition.

The travellers went on through the night. = The travelers continued on from beginning to the end of the night.

They went on to the next town. = They went ahead or continued on to the next town.

Some people just go on and on. = Some people just keep talking away without stop.

Provide more context on “I'd keep going on through.” so we may better understand this.