Into/onto

Hello to Everyone

I am a student of English of second language for my own. I love to write, to speak and to dream in english. It's an amazing language, and I would to master it. I've got a general and specific question.
    My general question is how can I get a perfect and accurate accent? Unfortunately my native language is Spanish. I don't want to speak spanish anymore, and I'd love to get a perfect english accent. I'm trying speaking in english as much as possible, watching movies in english and listening tons of audio books. But I think, it's not enough, people even can't understand me, I don't know what's wrong me?
    My another question is about the use of the preposition "into" "onto", honestly I've had a lot of headache trying to figure out the correct use of those words.
    I'd thank whatever answer or suggestion.
    Santiago Ludwig

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Into/onto

I've started a new thread for your questions.

General: If you're already dreaming in English, you're well on the way. You're doing some of the right things - but you need to get more active (speaking and listening to live conversation).

Specific:

Look at these definitions; there's not a lot of overlap:
    into: Definition and Much More from Answers.com
    onto: Definition and Much More from Answers.com
    (I can't really think of any, although this comes close*:

Police are looking into it. / Police are onto it.

The meaning of the first is based on the phrasal verb 'looking into', meaning investigating. The meaning of the second is an informal use of 'onto N' which means something like 'beginning to understand'. Another common expression that uses this sort of "onto" is I think we're onto something. [='I think we've discovered something that's worth pursuing as it will probably lead to further discoveries'].

b

*PS These two uses aren't very close in meaning, but it's possible to imagine a context that allows them both to be used (though not interchangeably).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Into/onto

PS

I added a couple of posts to this thread that will give you an idea of areas that cause difficulties and why: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/p...tml#post149596 . Some of them may not be news to you, but they might help you put your finger on a problem that your aware of but can't exactly identify.

b