• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

needy

Dear teachers,

Recently I ran into a difficulty. I couldn't understand the sound sense of two very simple sentences.

"I used to have a cat and he was SUPER NEEDY. He was great, but he was incredible NEEDY."

There is a problematical interpretation of the word "needy". I know in a way the meaning of the word "needy". In a broad sense the literal meaning is:"being in need, impoverish, deprived", synonym "poor."

For example NEEDY CHILDREN OF ISRAEL.

Does there exist a connection between cat and poverty. Or this one is Moses, cat? Do he (the Cat) want my money or something others? Maybe he needed badly my charity and compassion?

Could you explain me the alternative meaning of the adjective "needy?
    If it is possible for you "the meaning" especially for this case.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: needy

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recently I ran into a difficulty. I couldn't understand the sound sense of two very simple sentences.

"I used to have a cat and he was SUPER NEEDY. He was great, but he was incredible NEEDY."

There is a problematical interpretation of the word "needy". I know in a way the meaning of the word "needy". In a broad sense the literal meaning is:"being in need, impoverish, deprived", synonym "poor."

Does there exist a connection between cat and poverty. Or this one is Moses, cat? Do he (the Cat) want my money or something others? Maybe he needed badly my charity and compassion?

V.
    Your cat needs more affection than usual.
    Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree. - talking about him [the cat]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Teia,

Thank you for your efficiency and competency.

I know there are two kind of people in this world. Dog people and cat people. Unfortunately I am not a typical representative of the latter one.

Nevertheless I will follow your wisely recommendation - talking him. Probably he could put up only with my broken English.

Thanks again.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

V.
    Needy can mean everything you described. It can also be used to describe a strong desire for attention. You need attention.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Naamplao,

Thank you for your accommodating and affirmative addition.

V.