• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

"the beauty bias"

Dear teachers,

If it is not too much trouble for you, explain me the usage of the expression "the beauty bias", which I have read recently in an excerpt from an article.

"Those findings contradict an oft-seen trend research known as "the beauty bias", in which attractive men and women appear to enjoy advantages in society that their less attractive peers lack."

Taken alone this expression is comprehensible, but later there are arising different complications. Sometimes the meaning have positive influence,other times the meaning is negative. As a result the real essence eludes me.

To crown the whole I have read recently an interesting American slogan "level the playing field", which confused me once more again. Do you see the the complete talking at cross-purposes?

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "the beauty bias"

Well, the "beauty bias" is both positive and negative; positive for the good-looking people of the world, negative for those who are less attractive. Studies have shown that if two people are interviewed for the same job, even if the unattractive person has better qualifications and more experience, the "prettier" candidate often gets the job instead. So if you happen to be average-looking, you often have to work harder to prove yourself and get ahead than the beautiful people of the world.

"Level the playing field" means to give everyone an equal chance or opportunity.
    Ex:
    Government funding of poorer, urban schools levels the playing field for inner-city children. They have access to the same technology and educational materials as the wealthier suburban students.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: "the beauty bias"

Hi Quisch,

Thank you for your efforts. Your logical and shrewd answer put an end to all doubt in my barbarian mind. There are no two ways about it. Do we really live in Never Never Land?

Referring the second question about "level the playing field" I am calmer now.
    As a result of associative reasoning, I have thought that your government have to ensure funding for realization the beautification of unattractive people in order "to achieve level the playing field" -that is to say "reaching equality or even chance with the attractive people."

Thank you for your true to life explanation.

V.