S or no S?

Hi

My first post no less!!

My query is this - I am writing about fault finding in electronics and am unsure whether a sentence should read:

"...what each of a broad range of production faults looks like, how they are caused..."

OR
    "...what each of a broad range of production faults look like, how they are caused..."

My feeling is that it should be 'looks' rather than 'look', as we are looking at each one looks like, not each one look like.
    Any ideas - and could you give a formal explanation as to why please?!!
    Cheers
    Shayman

Re: S or no S?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayman View Post
    Hi

My first post no less!!

My query is this - I am writing about fault finding in electronics and am unsure whether a sentence should read:

"...what each of a broad range of production faults looks like, how they are caused..."

OR
    "...what each of a broad range of production faults look like, how they are caused..."

My feeling is that it should be 'looks' rather than 'look', as we are looking at each one looks like, not each one look like.
    Any ideas - and could you give a formal explanation as to why please?!!
    Cheers
    Shayman
    Welcome to the forum

I agree = the sentence says "each", therefore the singular verb is needed to agree. If you remove the intervening phrase, it will become clear: each looks like.