Hope this helps a bit.Dear teachers,
Could you explain to me the difference between like and as in the following sentences:
1. Everyone is sick at home. Our home is like a hospital. appears to be like /resembles
2. During the war this hotel was used as a hospital. functioned as/was made use of
4. What a beautiful house. It's like a palace. resembles a palace
5. Why " What a beautiful house. It's as if it were a palace." is wrong? With my addition it becomes correct.
6. You should have done it like this. in this way
7. You should have done it as I showed you. in the manner I demonstrated
8. Why do you say "As you know, it's Tom's birthday the next week."
and not: "A fact that you know"
9. Like you know, it's Tom's birthday the next week." It is just not accepted in this collocation. One of those grammatical situations that exists.
Are there exactly rules or I have to hear my inner voice?
Would you help em?
Student or Learner