• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

speaking

Hello. I've noticed that I've advanced in grammar, but not so much in the spoken english. I realized that when I speak I always use the same words (the ones I'm comfortable with) and make the same mistakes. It seems fossilized. What can I do to develop better? Is it just a matter of practice?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: speaking

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Hello. I've noticed that I've advanced in grammar, but not so much in the spoken english. I realized that when I speak I always use the same words (the ones I'm comfortable with) and make the same mistakes. It seems fossilized. What can I do to develop better? Is it just a matter of practice?
    Hi, anreak!

Yes, it is a matter of practice. I would recommend that you set aside a specific amount of time each day to focus on enriching your English vocabulary, grammar, and speech. Are you surfing the Internet for sites that are written in English, or have streaming video in English? Visit sites that contain magazine or newspaper articles. Watch streaming video clips of current events. Select a few songs that you enjoy listening to and then find the lyrics online. Locate an online pen-pal that is agreeable to being a mentor.

'I realized that when I speak I always use the same words (the ones I'm comfortable with) and make the same mistakes.'

What 'mistakes' are you making... and, if you know they are mistakes, what are you doing to correct them?

Finally, a gentle reminder for you: The word English is always capitalized (never 'english') when you are referring to the English language.

I hope you will write us, again! Practice, practice, practice!!!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Well, i surf the net, watch bbc&cnn and I also join in talks like skypecasts, but I often speak with non-natives, sometimes with natives. My mistakes are basic ones like "There is many..." and many others when I try to speak something that requires a more complex sentence.

Thank you, amigos4.
    Last edited by anreak; 18-Oct-2007 at 00:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Well, i surf the net, watch bbc&cnn and I also join in talks like skypecasts, but I often speak with non-natives, sometimes with natives. My mistakes are basic ones like "There is many..." and many others when i try to speak something that requires a more complex sentence.

Thank you, amigos4.
    Anreak,

That is a very good start. I am studying Spanish and trying to become more proficient in that language. I am experiencing the same type of challenges in learning Spanish as you are experiencing with English. Practice, practice, practice!!!

I hope you will continue to post message in the forum. We will always be happy to assist you with your studies.

Just a quick (and gentle) reminder for you: 'i surf the net'... I is ALWAYS capitalized, as in I surf the net.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Well, good luck with Spanish. Take a look at this site sozietyDOTcom. There you can find someone to practise with you. I myself will keep on practicing.

Thank you for the encouragement.