Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #1

    Smile locomotives/railway engines

    There is a display of old railway engines in Taipei's 228 Peace Park.
    There is a show/exhibition/exhibit of old locomotives in Taipei's 228 Peace Park.


    Do the above two statements mean pretty much the same?
    Which word fits in the second sentence, show, exhibition, or exhibit? Thanks.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #2

    Re: locomotives/railway engines

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    There is a display of old railway engines in Taipei's 228 Peace Park.
    There is a show/exhibition/exhibit of old locomotives in Taipei's 228 Peace Park.


    Do the above two statements mean pretty much the same?
    Which word fits in the second sentence, show, exhibition, or exhibit? Thanks.
    Hi, angliholic!

    Yes, the above two statements mean pretty much the same thing. However, there might be some finer points of distinction associated with each word. Sometimes an admission fee is charged for shows, exhibitions, and exhibits. Displays are usually free of charge to view, however, a fee (or donation) may also be assessed for some displays.

    Assuming that 228 Peace Park is a public park, it would probably be the site of a public display of old locomotives.

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #3

    Re: locomotives/railway engines

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, angliholic!

    Yes, the above two statements mean pretty much the same thing. However, there might be some finer points of distinction associated with each word. Sometimes an admission fee is charged for shows, exhibitions, and exhibits. Displays are usually free of charge to view, however, a fee (or donation) may also be assessed for some displays.

    Assuming that 228 Peace Park is a public park, it would probably be the site of a public display of old locomotives.

    Cheers,
    Amigos4
    Thanks, amigos, for the crystal clear and helpful reply.
    Just to make sure, what do you mean by the line I have bolded in green?

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #4

    Re: locomotives/railway engines

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, amigos, for the crystal clear and helpful reply.
    Just to make sure, what do you mean by the line I have bolded in green?
    Angliholic,
    Some museums and art galleries may charge an admission fee for people to see the exhibits, exhibitions, and displays. For tax purposes, some not-for profit organizations are not allowed to charge an admission fee; but to raise money for their organization, and to help offset the costs associated with sponsoring the exhibit, exhibition, or display, they ask people to make a donation/contribution.

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

  5. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #5

    Re: locomotives/railway engines

    Thanks, amigos, for your help.
    My confusion has been cleared up.

Similar Threads

  1. engines
    By linnhubba1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2007, 21:00
  2. Specialized Searches Using General Search Engines
    By SSteffin in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2007, 21:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •