Help with latin

Hi,

I hope someone might be good with latin and help me out! I need to translate the term 'direct hit'. i've been told by someone in my class that it is icero, but when I put that in the latin online dictionaries it always says 'not found'! And loads of the other sites won't let me put in more than one word so I can't look for it, id there any such term or wouls i have to use the two separate terms?

Could someone translate 'direct hit' for me?

I'd really appreciate the help!

Re: Help with latin

This is an English forum. Have you tried this in http://latinforum.org/

Smile Re: Help with latin

I know, it's just that i saw another post on the forums about latin so I thoguht i'd give it a try, and my mate used this site for her homework and said it was good, i'll go check out the site you mentioned, thanks for the advice

Good luck! If you google Latin forums, you will find several, so if that one doesn't help, there are others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickipary View Post
    Hi,

I hope someone might be good with latin and help me out! I need to translate the term 'direct hit'. i've been told by someone in my class that it is icero, but when I put that in the latin online dictionaries it always says 'not found'! And loads of the other sites won't let me put in more than one word so I can't look for it, id there any such term or wouls i have to use the two separate terms?

Could someone translate 'direct hit' for me?

I'd really appreciate the help!
    Anyway, you won't find icero on the dictionary because it is an inflected form of the verb icio, which means "to hit". Thus icero means I will have hit. As you can see, it relates to what you are looking for but it doesn't have much to do with it.
    The best of luck with your translation!! (Is this expression ok or should I say in your translation?)
    Last edited by Englishlanguage; 18-Oct-2007 at 21:23.

Thumbs up Re: Help with latin

Thank you for your post that was really useful, I'm glad I was on the right lines but i obviously wasn't quite there!

I also took the advace for looking for more latin forums. Latin is new for me this year and i'm still finding my feet with it!

Thank you all you've really helped me out.

I use a free machine translator when just translating a few words this one is pretty good...

TranslationBooth - Quick Translations

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan74 View Post
    I use a free machine translator when just translating a few words this one is pretty good...

TranslationBooth - Quick Translations
    Do you need to pay for those translations? I don't think that will help you so much.
    What I would suggest you is learning a few words and then starting reasoning about them. It will seem difficult at the beginning but you'll find it very useful in the long run. For istance, once you will have learnt that eo means "to go" and ex means "away from, out of", you won't need to look up in the dicrionary the verb exeo because you'll notice it's made up of ex and eo and thus means "go away from (or get out of)".
    You need to develope the ability of reasoning about words. That's why you are supposed to study Latin. Just to reason.