1. Unregistered

Question of Elements of Fiction

Hi, my name is Richard and in my class, we're studying elements of fiction and nonfiction. It seems that an unspoken rule among English teachers is that fictional stories must have conflict. I was wondering whether or not that is indeed true. Granted it might not be a good story without conflict, but shouldn't it still be a story? What would you call a story without conflict?

Re: Question of Elements of Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, my name is Richard and in my class, we're studying elements of fiction and nonfiction. It seems that an unspoken rule among English teachers is that fictional stories must have conflict. I was wondering whether or not that is indeed true. Granted it might not be a good story without conflict, but shouldn't it still be a story? What would you call a story without conflict?
    Travel log, boring romantic love story

You would have to give me an example of a story without conflict for me to give a good answer to your question.

I think that all stories have some sort of conflict but conflict means many things...it is not just physical fighting.

You can have a conflict of ideas or ideology
    You can have internal mental conflict where someone struggles within themself.
    You can have a sports story with competition between teams.
    etc....

Conflict makes the story interesting to the reader. The resolving of the conflict gives the story a focus.

Sometimes, instead of saying a story has conflict, it can be said that the story has a problem to be solved. Granted it may not be a big problem, it could be just a personality issue, such as a need for security and affection. A story has to have something that is being developed to be considered a story.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Some people have argued that Samual Beckett's Waiting for Godot is a work without conflict. Indeed, it has been described as a play in which nothing happens...twice (it has two acts). Others, however, say that even in this work, there is conflict.