Albeit....although

Greetings to all!

Is it grammartically correct to use albeit and although in the following situation?

As a result, the government is allowed to monitor every phone conversation, albeit of its harmless nature although the privacy of innocent citizen is at stake here.

Thank you,

Re: Albeit....although

Quote Originally Posted by sampahmel View Post
    Greetings to all!

Is it grammartically correct to use albeit and although in the following situation?

As a result, the government is allowed to monitor every phone conversation, albeit of its harmless nature although the privacy of innocent citizen is at stake here.

Thank you,
    The question is not clear. Do you mean "Is the sentence quoted correct?" or do you mean "Are 'albeit' and 'although' interchangeable in this sentence?

In the first place it is worth pointing out that "albeit of its harmless nature" is an ungramatical phrase. The problem however relates to the use of 'its' rather than 'albeit'. 'Abeit of a harmless nature' would be correct.

The question now seems to be "are 'albeit' and 'although' the same; They are very simlar in the sense that they are both roughly equivalent to 'in spite of the fact that ...', just as 'piss' and 'urine' are similar in their reference but differ in register. 'Although is regularly used in everyday conversation as well as in academc English. 'Abeit' is academic.

I have two further problems with your sentence. The first is a question of style.The use of 'although' in such close proximity to 'albeit' strikes me as repetitious.

Secondly, I think 'however'. makes better sense: i.e instead of 'albeit of a harmless nature' I prefer however harmless in nature; which has a dfferent meaning.

Fred O'Hanlon .

Hi Fred,
    Interesting insight that you shared regarding this post,
    could you advise on the following use of 'Albeit'

we are having to customize 'the concept' on client demand, and create other garmet types albeit the use of fabric that is not top of the line

where Albeit is being used instead of using - 'in spite of ', in which case the sentence would have been -
    we are having to customize 'the concept' on client demand, and create other garmet types 'in spite of' having to use fabric that is not top of the line
    which is the correct one ???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Oh dear - I wish people wouldn't use "albeit" as if it meant pretty much the same as "although", just more formal. "Albeit" means "although it [may] be". Indeed, at one time the word was inflected for number - "albethey".

But people do use it as if there were this equivalence, so I suppose it 'means' that.
    I guess that depends what you mean by 'mean'.

b