peculiar

Hello teachers and friends,
    I've some questions for you, so I need your help:
    1) when we say that "She has the most peculiar ideas ", do we mean by that, she has the strangest ideas and do we use it in negative situations, I mean, not only has she strange ideas but also negative ones?.
    we can also say "English is a peculiar language", what do we exactly mean ?
    2)My second question is about this sentence: "To learn English really well, you should travel in America", why we don't say" you should travel to America", I think the last one is more reliable, but I don't know which is the correct one?
    I will greatly appreciate your help for me.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: peculiar

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Hello teachers and friends,
    I've some questions for you, so I need your help:
    1) when we say that "She has the most peculiar ideas ", do we mean by that, she has the strangest ideas and do we use it in negative situations, I mean, not only has she strange ideas but also negative ones?.
    we can also say "English is a peculiar language", what do we exactly mean ?
    2)My second question is about this sentence: "To learn English really well, you should travel in America", why we don't say" you should travel to America", I think the last one is more reliable, but I don't know which is the correct one?
    I will greatly appreciate your help for me.
    Thank you in advance.
    "She has the most peculiar ideas "

Her ideas not unusual and unconventional but they are not necessarily negative. It is usually said by people who are set in their ways of doing things and not open to change.

"English is a peculiar language"

Yes, I would agree with that

The difference with using "in" rather than "to" is that "in" implies travel inside the country. Think of the borders of the country as being walls so In means you are within those walls. Travel to America is also valid but it does not imply traveling within the country. You could travel to New York and never move beyond the city....you are only at the edge of the country, so to speak.

Thank you very much, now I get it .

sorry, Naamplao, you said: "Her ideas not unusual and unconventional but they are not necessarily negative. It is usually said by people who are set in their ways of doing things and not open to change." I think you should say "it's usually said to people". Right?

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    sorry, Naamplao, you said: "Her ideas not unusual and unconventional but they are not necessarily negative. It is usually said by people who are set in their ways of doing things and not open to change." I think you should say "it's usually said to people". Right?
    No, I meant by. The people who would call someone and their ideas peculiar are people who don't like change. They would probably not say this thing directly to the "peculiar" person, rather they would say this among themselves as gossip.

I will change this sentence I wrote in my last post.

I said:
    Her ideas not unusual and unconventional but they are not necessarily negative.

I meant:
    Her ideas are unusual and unconventional but they are not necessarily negative.

I hope I haven't confused you.