• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

scores

Hi teachers,
    I have met recently two sentences in two different books which have evoked once more my curiosity. Please, take notice of the passages in bold.

"Helen had scores of suitors, and her father was unwilling to choose one for fear the others would retaliate violently. "

"His wife Penelope, has scores of suitors who want to marry her so they can become king of Ithaca."

I know some acceptable and understandable for me usages of the word "score" such as: a notch, a stroke, a notch of keeping an account, any account showing indebtedness, an account rеcordet as due, the starting point of a race and many others.

I couldn't understand the meaning of the word "score" like "a group or set of 20, dispose of the fact that this term was used of the great Lincoln in his famous Gettysburg's speech (four score and ten = 90).

I couldn't understand also the meaning of the word "scores" like "a great many" (see above adduced sentences). In my native language on this place we would use the word "file", "string", "train" (probably "a long string of suitors"). In my native language there is only one word.

I wander, if you would try to give me a satisfactory explanation in order to dispel and put an end to all my doubt.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 21-Oct-2007 at 15:50.

Re: scores

As you point out "a score" is twenty. Its plural form "scores" = plural noun = a lot of things or people. It is used as an expression indicating many - an unspecified number. It rarely in this sort of context actually means multiples of twenty.

examples:

I received scores of cards on my 100th birthday.

The tree had scores of crows sitting in it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: scores

Hi Anglika,

Owing to your profound conviction and the quoted very figurative examples I take things as you (English people) find them. After more extent research I have found a further synonyms of the word "scores" such as "masses", "piles", "scads", "tons", wads" that consolidate your statement. This synonyms I have found with the help of my new acquisition: WordWeb.

Now I know for certain "Everything comes to him who waits".

Thank you again.

V.