Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Smile English Grammar

    Dear sir/ madam
    Canyou please let me know whether these sentences are correct?
    1. He uses much salt in his cooking.
    2. There is much juice in the glass.
    3. There is much pepper in the bottle.


    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 175
    #2

    Re: English Grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dear sir/ madam
    Canyou please let me know whether these sentences are correct?
    1. He uses much salt in his cooking.
    2. There is much juice in the glass.
    3. There is much pepper in the bottle.
    I would replace "much" with "a lot" in each of the examples.

  2. #3

    Re: English Grammar

    Thank you.But i would like to know whether the sentences are grammatically correct?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: English Grammar

    Yes, they are grammatical.

  3. #5

    Re: English Grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamila View Post
    Thank you.But i would like to know whether the sentences are grammatically correct?
    Yes, they are "grammatically correct", as Anglika suggests. However, many textbooks suggest that the use of "much" in a positive sentence (negative: he doesn't use much salt in his cooking) is uncommon; native speakers will usually use "a lot of" or some other quantifier.

    There are some expressions that do use it (e.g. I wish you much luck) but here in Canada, if someone uttered a sentence such as those in your examples, people would probably assume he was a non-native speaker.

    Fiona


    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 175
    #6

    Re: English Grammar

    Thankyou for that explanation Fiona. Sometimes it's difficult to expain why a given phrase is, or sounds wrong!

  4. #7

    Re: English Grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Thankyou for that explanation Fiona. Sometimes it's difficult to expain why a given phrase is, or sounds wrong!
    My pleasure!

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a grammar of spoken English?
    By M56 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2009, 01:58
  2. URGENT!!!Please advice me how to teach english grammar online?
    By Online Tutor in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2007, 10:55
  3. English Grammar
    By Gilles in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2006, 18:10
  4. English Grammar
    By Gilles in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2006, 15:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •