Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Unregistered

How to address a company

Hi yous,
    I want to write an application letter to a company, but I'm not sure how to address them. Is it possible to write "company xy" or do I just write down the name of the company, e.g. as well when stating the companies I worked for before.
    Thanks a lot!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: How to address a company

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi yous,
    I want to write an application letter to a company, but I'm not sure how to address them. Is it possible to write "company xy" or do I just write down the name of the company, e.g. as well when stating the companies I worked for before.
    Thanks a lot!!
    It would be awkward, and possibly incorrect, to say 'Company General Electric' or 'Nokia Company'. Some of the leading businesses are not a 'company' but rather a 'corporation'.

For an accurate listing of what the company/corporation calls itself you could visit their official website.

Use the same listing on your resume' when including the names of your previous employers.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Montenegro
      • Current Location:
      • Montenegro

Hello,

That's the problem for me too. Recently I applied for a job and had to write a cover letter . I hitched at the very begining. I didn't know how to address the company considering that they did not mention the person to contact in the advertisment. I chose to start with "Hello" . Would you consider it as impolite or strange to start a cover letter for a job application with Hello ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by velimir View Post
    Hello,

That's the problem for me too. Recently I applied for a job and had to write a cover letter . I hitched at the very begining. I didn't know how to address the company considering that they did not mention the person to contact in the advertisment. I chose to start with "Hello" . Would you consider it as impolite or strange to start a cover letter for a job application with Hello ?
    Hi, velimir!

Once, again, I suggest visiting the website of the company. See if you can find out the name of the Human Resources Director.

You will create a more favorable impression by using the director's name in your cover letter, rather than using an impersonal greeting such as 'Hello' or 'To Whom It May Concern.' When addressing a woman, it is safer to use 'Ms.' rather than 'Miss' or 'Mrs.' When addressing a man, use 'Mr.' with no nicknames. Use a comma after the greeting, and make sure all names are spelled correctly!

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Montenegro
      • Current Location:
      • Montenegro

Thank you very much for the answer Amigos4 . I'll have that in mind next time I apply for a job.

Hello,

Ok....let us take a concrete example.

This is a typical employment ad posted in The Calgary Herald a local newspaper on October 14, 2007. I have changed details to conceal the actual name, identity and address information.

ABC Petroleum
    ABC Petroleum, on a production volume basis, is one of the largest conventional oil companies in North America. ABC intends to exploit its vast oil opportunities in Western Canada with a long-term plan to develop its properties in Peace River region of Alberta.
    ABC is seeking self-motivated individuals to become members of this successful business enterprise.
    Senior Tax Accountant (Reference: ABC123)
    Senior Facilities Engineer
    (Reference: ABC124)
    A&D Analyst (Reference: ABC125)

ABC Petroleum Ltd.
    Suite 123, 999 Anywhere Street
    Calgary, AB

X1Y 2X3

The start of the covering letter could look like this:

October 23, 2007

Personnel Director
    ABC Petroleum Ltd.
    Calgary, AB

X1Y 2X3

Re: Position of Senior Tax Accountant - Reference: ABC123

Dear Sir:

I would like to apply for the position of Senior Tax Accountant, as described in your advertisement placed in the October 14th edition of the Calgary Herald.

If the ad states the name of the person that the employment is addressed to then you would use their name in the address

October 23, 2007

Ms. Jane Doe, Personnel Director
    ABC Petroleum Ltd.
    Calgary, AB

X1Y 2X3

Re: Position of Senior Tax Accountant - Reference: ABC123

Dear Ms. Doe:

I would like to apply for the position of Senior Tax Accountant, as described in your advertisement placed in the October 14th edition of the Calgary Herald.

Never use Miss or Mrs.when referring to a woman. The invention of the word "Ms." 30 years ago solved many awkward letter addressing problems

You will note that I used "Sir" in the first sample. When the name/gender of the person is unknown always use Sir. This applies to any business letter.
    In business letters you will never offend a woman if the letter is addressed "Sir" when her name/gender is unknown at the time of writing the letter....they are used to receiving letters this way.

I hope this helps you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Montenegro
      • Current Location:
      • Montenegro

Thanks Naamplao very much, it is certainly helping. Maybe it should be established custom in advertising job position to always refer to the person who the applications should be submitted to? Where I live it is not a customary thing,unfortunately . Moreover,not that such a huge number of companies have their internet site which I could browse for information,and that additionally complicate the matter. My recent application that I've mentioned was to a big company which advertised in english their job announcement, so it was intruiging to me how they would consider my addressing them with "Hello" .

Thanks again

Thanks Naamplao very much, it is certainly helping. Maybe it should be established custom in advertising job position to always refer to the person who the applications should be submitted to? Where I live it is not a customary thing,unfortunately . Moreover,not that such a huge number of companies have their internet site which I could browse for information,and that additionally complicate the matter. My recent application that I've mentioned was to a big company which advertised in english their job announcement, so it was intruiging to me how they would consider my addressing them with "Hello" .

Thanks again
    Your writing is a bit confusing to me. Are you applying for a job in the field of advertising? Are you a graphic artist?

When applying to a company for a job, the cover letter and resume will not get you the job. Companies rarely, if ever, make a hiring decision without interviewing the candidates.

So what is the purpose of the covering letter and resume? The purpose is to make your application stand out from the other applications that have been submitted by other. It must make the person reviewing the applications want to discuss your qualifications further. The cover letter and resume must be designed to get you an interview for the job. There may be 200 applications but rarely are more than 30-40 (often only 10) people interviewed.

The reason I asked you if you were a graphic artist was because you may be allowed a few liberties from the normal resume.

If I was an accountant applying for a job, I would want my resume to look very crisp, neat, easy to read with the important information presented in a professional manner.

As a graphic artist you might think of a format that could express your creativity. You are entering the field of advertising...well, advertise yourself!!

As far as using a familiar greeting like "hello" as the opening to your covering letter, I would not do it. It is not businesslike. It is a greeting a child would use...not a professional. I would stick to the format I outlined earlier.

You will never no how it was received if it fails since you won't be offered an interview. If it was ok and they liked your qualifications then congratulations....you have completed the first hurdle on the way to being employed by this company. Next will come at least 2 interviews...to decide the winner.

Good luck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbian
      • Home Country:
      • Montenegro
      • Current Location:
      • Montenegro

Sorry Naamplao for confusing you. I'll try to be more precise. I have not applied for a job in an advertising company and I'm not a graphic artist, nothing similar to that actually I applied for a job in a mobile network company and I'm an economist by education. What I meant to say is that the companies which announce a vacant job position should put in their newspaper or tv ads the name of the person to whom I am supposed to submit the application. I think that the whole thing is easier for everybody that way for many reasons. And what if the company doesn't have an internet site and I can't get the name of its personnel ? Should I go straight to their premises and ask for the name of the person in charge ? I don't think that its the most convinient way for either company or applicants. As to my application, only I can do now is to hope that they will find it amusing that I addressed them the way children are usually addressed Thanks Naamplao again. I hope that I was more clear in this post

Sorry Naamplao for confusing you. I'll try to be more precise. I have not applied for a job in an advertising company and I'm not a graphic artist, nothing similar to that actually I applied for a job in a mobile network company and I'm an economist by education. What I meant to say is that the companies which announce a vacant job position should put in their newspaper or tv ads the name of the person to whom I am supposed to submit the application. I think that the whole thing is easier for everybody that way for many reasons. And what if the company doesn't have an internet site and I can't get the name of its personnel ? Should I go straight to their premises and ask for the name of the person in charge ? I don't think that its the most convinient way for either company or applicants. As to my application, only I can do now is to hope that they will find it amusing that I addressed them the way children are usually addressed Thanks Naamplao again. I hope that I was more clear in this post
    You are clearer this time.

The reason that they don't put the name of a person to contact is that they don't want hundreds of people phoning them asking them questions about the job.

They want to make a selection and call in just the people they want to interview. At that point you will know who the contact person(s) is.

It is not confusing to them...especially if there is a Job reference number associated with the job posting. Their mailing department will route the mail to the appropriate person.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in that statement but it is not the way it should be addressed as I have shown. Your letter will certainly get the attention of the person screening the applications and perhaps that is not a bad thing as you will stand out from the crowd. Hopefully your resume will be attractive enough for them to want to interview you.

I hope so....good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast