1. munirdubai

English trainer

can you tell me what are the different aplications of the word 'faculty. Is it ok if i say faculties meaning teachers?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: English trainer

A faculty can be a department or a group of department within a university, school etc. If you refer to faculties, you refer to the departments, not the teachers or tutors within those faculties.

Faculty can also refer to an ability. "Though he was 90 years old, he was still in possession of all his faculties" His ability to think, reason, talk etc.

• Post Thanks / Like

Moggy is correct. Being an American having studied in Europe, we have a different usage for the word 'faculty.' For us, the word generally refers to a group of people employed by a school. Throughout Europe, it can refer to an academic department within a school.

However, if you are referring to a group of teachers, the correct usage would be the singular 'faculty' since you are referring to one large group of people.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NSelz View Post
    Moggy is correct. Being an American having studied in Europe, we have a different usage for the word 'faculty.' For us, the word generally refers to a group of people employed by a school. Throughout Europe, it can refer to an academic department within a school.

However, if you are referring to a group of teachers, the correct usage would be the singular 'faculty' since you are referring to one large group of people.
    Not necessary the usage would be the singular as there may be diffrent faculty of diffrent discipiline in an university.