finger cross

I was watching a movie called "The Truman Show, 1998."
    (by the way, is this sentence correct?)

In the movie, Truman finds out that his wife had her fingers crossed in the marriage picture. He looks awfully shocked.

What does it mean? crossing fingers?

When i looked it up, the dictionary said "hoping the result is good."

If this meaning is true, why did he look so upset?

and usually, in the movies, a kid lies and when his/her parents (or adults) find out the truth, the kid protests that he had his "fingers crossed."

is this conceptually equal to that of above?

this is too confusing.

Re: finger cross

Hi kpkroy, Yes...I can see why that may seem confusing, but however it's used, it means "I hope for a positive outcome" If someone crosses their fingers whilst saying something, it indicates that they are not telling the truth at that moment and perhaps want to protect themselves from the consequences of lying. Many say that is a christian gesture of making a secret cross, but others say it pre-dates christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by kpkroy View Post
    I was watching a movie called "The Truman Show, 1998."
    (by the way, is this sentence correct?)

In the movie, Truman finds out that his wife had her fingers crossed in the marriage picture. He looks awfully shocked.

What does it mean? crossing fingers?

When i looked it up, the dictionary said "hoping the result is good."

If this meaning is true, why did he look so upset?

and usually, in the movies, a kid lies and when his/her parents (or adults) find out the truth, the kid protests that he had his "fingers crossed."

is this conceptually equal to that of above?

this is too confusing.
    Hahahaha....it depends on where you cross your fingers. This is not really English but rather a lesson in "sign" language.

If you cross your fingers in full view of everyone you are expressing a hope for good luck

However, if you tell a lie and cross your fingers behind your back, out of sight from those in the room that you want to fool, this is supposed to make the lie OK somehow. Also it could be a signal to the person behind you that you are not telling the truth.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Kpkroy,

An old superstition says that if you cross your fingers (usually two fingers of the same hand) it will bring good luck. Example:"I don't know what I will get for my birthday but I am crossing my fingers that it will be a bicycle"

Military history includes many instances when soldiers, who fell into hands of the enemy were trotted out before photographers of propaganda - to create false image for purposes to trick audiences into believing that the prisoners were actually well-cared for., sympathized whit their or mere voluntarily denouncing the political police their home countries.

Likewise, military history includes many instance, in which such captured soldiers managed to inserted subtle and furtive signs into propagandistic images to express their defiance, to indicate that the information they were relaying was false or to signal that they were acting under duress.

The gesture of crossing one,s fingers is not unique to the military, of course, it is an ages-old symbol used to indicate that the finger-crossed does not mean what he is saying or is being compelled to act through coercion.

(A typical kiddie trick is to surreptitiously cross one's fingers behind one's back ) while making a promise, a token that supposedly shields the finger-crosser from the obligation of upholding the terms of his oath.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 24-Oct-2007 at 16:47.

:) Thank you all for the reply. :)

But it sounds tricky - sometimes it means for the good(in the sense that they are hoping for the good), and sometimes it means for the bad (that they are lying).

I hope i don't confuse its usage... fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by kpkroy View Post
    :) Thank you all for the reply. :)

But it sounds tricky - sometimes it means for the good(in the sense that they are hoping for the good), and sometimes it means for the bad (that they are lying).

I hope i don't confuse its usage... fingers crossed!
    Actually that is a danger in all cultures. A hand sign in one country does not necessarily mean the same thing in another.

One really dangerous sign is when you make a circle with your thumb and index finger while showing the palm of your hand to your audience.

In North America it means everything is good/ok
    In Japan it means money (okane)
    In many European countries I am told it is not a nice gesture.

You have to be careful.

So far as I am aware, to cross your fingers is an indication that you are lying and you are protecting yourself from the wrath of God.

Just to be sure everyone is talking about the same thing, the reference in "Truman" is to this: http://tinyurl.com/2khlb2