1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Cool The word "information."

I am a doctoral learner. I submitted a paper and was corrected on the point that the word "information" is ALWAYS plural. I have never heard anyone say "information are." Is this plural usage only in scholarly writing, or has the whole of America been saying "information is" incorrectly.

Thank you.

Smile Re: The word "information."

information is. . . .

informations are. . . . .

is-singular
    are-plural

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: The word "information."

Quote Originally Posted by cls1992 View Post
    I am a doctoral learner. I submitted a paper and was corrected on the point that the word "information" is ALWAYS plural. I have never heard anyone say "information are." Is this plural usage only in scholarly writing, or has the whole of America been saying "information is" incorrectly.

Thank you.
    Yeng :
    Informations is incorrect. Information is [not are!]

Cls 1992 :
    The noun information is always followed by verbs or determinatives in the singular. Information is an uncountable noun

e.g.

The information [ that] he got was important. It [the information] was important.
    If you want to change information into a countable noun, you have to use a quantifier : a piece of

Those / These pieces of information were important , but
    That / This information was / is important.

Note : information has a plural meaning but , as I have already said, it is an uncountable noun followed by a singular verb or determiner.
    Last edited by Teia; 25-Oct-2007 at 13:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I agree with Teia; I use 'information' uncountably. 'Data' is often used uncountably in everyday English, but in academic English datum/data are used as singular and plural.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you.
    Can you give us the specific sentence that caught the attention of your professor?

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Can you give us the specific sentence that caught the attention of your professor?
    The sentence read: "Knowing how to obtain knowledge and knowing how to use that information is being recognized as a very important issue."

Although the professor said that "information" is always plural, I think the situation is different than that. Perhaps you can help clarify.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The sentence read: "Knowing how to obtain knowledge and knowing how to use that information is being recognized as a very important issue."

Although the professor said that "information" is always plural, I think the situation is different than that. Perhaps you can help clarify.
    cls1992,

I am still having difficulty understanding your professor's position. So, let me throw out this thought: Would the following sentence satisfy his concept of 'plural'? "Knowing how to obtain knowledge and knowing how to use that information are recognized as very important issues."

(Knowing how to fish and knowing how to properly clean that fish are two important components of your camping adventure.)

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Amigos4

An interesting problem in its own right.

You have two actions - [knowing how to obtain knowledge] and [knowing how to use the information obtained] - which are being seen as a single important issue. The question is whether it is the two actions separately that govern the verb, or the two actions as a joint action?

Information in itself is always singular, but in fact it is not "information" that is relevant, but "knowing how to use the information". I cannot see why the professor is hung up on the word.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    An interesting problem in its own right.

You have two actions - [knowing how to obtain knowledge] and [knowing how to use the information obtained] - which are being seen as a single important issue. The question is whether it is the two actions separately that govern the verb, or the two actions as a joint action?

Information in itself is always singular, but in fact it is not "information" that is relevant, but "knowing how to use the information". I cannot see why the professor is hung up on the word.
    I thank you for your comments. This was an online class, which I am no longer taking. The professor was not from America, so he may have considered "information" and "data" to be the same. I will not be using "information are." Thanks again for your responses. This includes you Amigos4.

Isn't the 'Information Age' a wonderful thing?

Wholeman
    The twisted TG-Fiction Author