Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Robinsonophobia

    Hi all again!

    Could any of you tell me what´s this?

    "Robinsonophobia"

    Context:
    Just an old-fashioned guy (19th c.) making a bad joke to friends about his "Robinsonophobia", but the text doesn't tell either the joke or the subject of that phobia, and of course, no Robinsons among that friends or within the rest of the story.

    Maybe he was a famous English dentist...

    Thanks!!

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 47,688
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Hi all again!

    Could any of you tell me what´s this?

    "Robinsonophobia"

    Context:
    Just an old-fashioned guy (19th c.) making a bad joke to friends about his "Robinsonophobia", but the text doesn't tell either the joke or the subject of that phobia, and of course, no Robinsons among that friends or within the rest of the story.

    Maybe he was a famous English dentist...

    Thanks!!
    Hi, jiho!

    If you suffer from the fear of being ridiculed because you don’t know the answer to an easy question then you are Coyneophobic (in England this fear is known as Robinsonophobia).

    See Can I have the Bill, please? for reference.

    I have never heard of this phobia. Have you?

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    Thanks for the answer, Amigos4, but to tell you the truth, I had already reached that blog before posting and, after a quick read, I decided not to rely too much on that definition, for the whole article sounded me kind of bizarre, although I admit phobias can be really bizarre!

    Neither did I hear about such thing!

    So Robinsonophobia must be some kind of Robinson-based hate, but...
    What Robinson on earth is it related to? Must be some real historical English figure...

    Regards


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    Can you give the name of the book and the author? It might help!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    I am sorry this time, Anglika, I do not know.
    I am dealing with an excerpt. It is not a novel but a guy speaking of himself. He says he & his friends were talking about teeth extractions which he disliked (who likes, i say?) and just made a bad joke about his "Robinsonofobia".

    I thought of Robinson Crusoe and searched for any episode in which he would have self-extracted a tooth or something similar but i didn`t find anything

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 47,688
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    I am sorry this time, Anglika, I do not know.
    I am dealing with an excerpt. It is not a novel but a guy speaking of himself. He says he & his friends were talking about teeth extractions which he disliked (who likes, i say?) and just made a bad joke about his "Robinsonofobia".

    I thought of Robinson Crusoe and searched for any episode in which he would have self-extracted a tooth or something similar but i didn`t find anything
    I think I just got a bad case of jihophobia! (jihophobia; an acute fear that jiho will not find a correct answer to his question!)

    Cheers,
    Amigos4

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 181
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Robinsonophobia

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    I think I just got a bad case of jihophobia! (jihophobia; an acute fear that jiho will not find a correct answer to his question!)

    Cheers,
    Amigos4
    Beware of jihophobia!!
    Believe me, I know about that
    This is such a spreading desease!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •