to strangle a moose

Does anybody know what to strangle a moose means? I haven't find it so far.

Thanks

Re: to strangle a moose

Please - what is the context??

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    Does anybody know what to strangle a moose means? I haven't find it so far.

Thanks
    Well, I googled it, and it seems that it is used in "enough...to" expressions, most related to strength.
    for example:
    The cable was strong enough to strangle a moose.
    The rope was thick enough to strangle a moose.

Now, being Canadian, I feel like I have some ownership over this expression but sadly, I've never heard it before!
    Fioan

Smile Re: to strangle a moose

Thank you Fiona, but this meaning doesn't fit.

The context: he is sleeping, when suddenly beside his head it's like someone strangled a moose. He winces only to realise his roommate is snoring. So, what do you think, does the idiom refers to sounds or what?

Thanks a lot again

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda View Post
    Thank you Fiona, but this meaning doesn't fit.

The context: he is sleeping, when suddenly beside his head it's like someone strangled a moose. He winces only to realise his roommate is snoring. So, what do you think, does the idiom refers to sounds or what?

Thanks a lot again
    Heeheehee...well being a Canadian as well I guess I had better take a shot at this.

Imagine a moose (a huge deer-like animal which is actually more dangerous than a bear if you meet one in the forest) being strangled somehow.

Would it quietly submit??? Not on your life! It would bellow and thrash around and make a terrible noise during the strangulation.

The person in this passage is sleeping and hears this noise by his head. It sounds like a moose being strangled but he wakes up to find it is only the snores of his companion.

Fioan .... I agree it would have to be a very strong rope to accomplish the task of strangling a moose. A moose's neck is very strong and it can knock over small trees easily.

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Ha! When I was first learning to play the bassoon, some very non-pleasant noises came out. I remember my father running down the hallway, and in a state of great (pretended) anxiety saying "Oh thank goodness. I was sure someone was stranling a moose in here!"

Yup, he was very encouraging in my musical endeavors!