1. blackeyes

problems related to the learning of english

hello, we have a project about problems related to the learning of english, and i don't find any thing about that in the internet, would you mind help me to do it, please? and thank very much.

Re: problems related to the learning of english

actually, the most problem in learning English are English speaking, vocabulary, etc. . .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

I have been trying to tame this language for a long time now and the only thing good about it, as far as I can see, are the verb tenses. Most of the English verbs are regulars and it makes the learning easier.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of difficulties u have to cope with while learning this language:
    -pronunciation: very difficult. There are no rules for the vowels. A vowel that sounds a way in a word sounds completely different in another word. Compare the "I" in promise and in com-promise, for example.
    -tons of words: there are tons of words in English. There are many words for the same meaning. U need to memorize a good bunch of that in order to be able to communicate reasonably.
    -phrasal verbs: again, there are thousands of phrasal verbs and it's very hard to remember what every one mean! If u use the wrong preposition, the meaning changes completely and u may get into trouble.
    -little words: words are very little in English. When u listen to a native speaking quickly u need to pay extra attention in order to distinguish one word from the other. A little lack of attention may cause u loose the meaning of the whole sentence.
    -2 languages in one: there are indeed 2 English: the one spoken informally in the streets, with lots of slangs, and the one u hear on the TV news and formal events.

Summing up, the only reason I see for English to be the universal language is the economic power of Britain during the 19th century and the American power nowadays.

regards,
    jc

thx a lot, all things you said can help me to do my project,