• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What does it mean?

Many years ago, I was visiting a pen-pal in Czechoslovakia. He was studying ESL, and asked me about the noun "stuff" (because I'd used it in several of my letters). He'd asked his teacher what "stuff" was, and she'd told him simply that "stuff is everything" (which is true, but vague), and he still didn't quite grasp the concept. I did a modified version of George Carlin's "A Place for My Stuff" routine, and my friend quickly grasped the concept:

Everybody has stuff. That's why we have a house or apartment or flat - it's a place to keep our stuff. When we leave our home, we lock the doors so no one comes in and steals our stuff. (Have you noticed that burglars never steal stuff like all those school report cards you've been saving since you were five years old? No, they only take stuff like your TV set and stereo and computer.) People fight for space in the overhead bins on airplanes because some folks pack too much stuff in their bags. Newlyweds will argue over closet space because the husband is taking up too much valuable space - the wife needs more room for her stuff!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Many years ago, I was visiting a pen-pal in Czechoslovakia. He was studying ESL, and asked me about the noun "stuff" (because I'd used it in several of my letters). He'd asked his teacher what "stuff" was, and she'd told him simply that "stuff is everything" (which is true, but vague), and he still didn't quite grasp the concept. I did a modified version of George Carlin's "A Place for My Stuff" routine, and my friend quickly grasped the concept:

Everybody has stuff. That's why we have a house or apartment or flat - it's a place to keep our stuff. When we leave our home, we lock the doors so no one comes in and steals our stuff. (Have you noticed that burglars never steal stuff like all those school report cards you've been saving since you were five years old? No, they only take stuff like your TV set and stereo and computer.) People fight for space in the overhead bins on airplanes because some folks pack too much stuff in their bags. Newlyweds will argue over closet space because the husband is taking up too much valuable space - the wife needs more room for her stuff!
    There's lots of good stuff in this forum!

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Oda is an american accent but I'm unable to understand it. I have listened it in a lot of songs but my translator doesn't help me.

Thank you Ouisch I got it.
    Last edited by Devil's tear; 30-Oct-2007 at 09:12.