• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

dipping into principle

Could you help me with the following in bold?

1. That pressure's gone, but now I have the stress of paying bills with no income to pay them. We have a decent savings cushion, but I feel like we're committing a sin by dipping into principle. So yes, stress is my daily companion.

In the above, "principle" seems to mean something like "nest egg", but I'm not sure.

2. It sounds like you know what it's like to work hard, sweat, and get in the zone.

Thank you.

Re: dipping into principle

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Could you help me with the following in bold?

1. That pressure's gone, but now I have the stress of paying bills with no income to pay them. We have a decent savings cushion, but I feel like we're committing a sin by dipping into principle. So yes, stress is my daily companion.

In the above, "principle" seems to mean something like "nest egg", but I'm not sure.

2. It sounds like you know what it's like to work hard, sweat, and get in the zone.

Thank you.
    1. Unfortunately there is a spelling mistake and a missing word here. It should say "dipping into the principal" or "our principal" and means spending money from an investment. The principal, in this case, being the amount of money on which interest is earned thus providing an income. Synonymous with capital perhaps. It would always be better not to spend the capital thereby reducing the investment and, thus, the future interest payments.

2. Athletes talk about getting into a zone whereby they are functioning at an optimum level. They get their muscles warmed up and then everything they attempt becomes effortless and successful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: dipping into principle

My God. It was a terrible spelling mistake, not mine. I knew "principal" has a meaning of "money on which interest is paid," so I thought about the possibility of spelling mistake between principle and principal. However, I thought this book I'm reading can't have made that kind of mistake and there must be some special meaning in "principle" I don't know.

Thank you for the answer.