Is this good English?

I am translating a text from Norwegian into English, and wonder if the following sentences are OK:

"The earliest known written observation that apoplexy, lethargy or other serious brain diseases may lead to damage of speech without a synchronous paralysis of the tongue, is found in a letter from the German doctor Atheus to a Swiss colleague, Schenkius, in 1585."

"Even if aphasia is a linguistic phenomena, the study of aphasia has until recently been dealt with largely by neurologists and psychologists, not linguistics."

Re: Is this good English?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I am translating a text from Norwegian into English, and wonder if the following sentences are OK:

"The earliest known written observation that apoplexy, lethargy or other serious brain diseases may lead to damage of speech without a synchronous paralysis of the tongue, is found in a letter from the German doctor Atheus to a Swiss colleague, Schenkius, in 1585."

"Even if aphasia is a linguistic phenomena, the study of aphasia has until recently been dealt with largely by neurologists and psychologists, not linguistics."
    "The earliest known written observation, that apoplexy, lethargy and other serious brain diseases may lead to damaged speech without a synchronous paralysis of the tongue, is found in a letter from the German doctor Atheus to a Swiss colleague, Schenkius, in 1585."

"
    Although aphasia is a linguistic phenomenon, the study of aphasia has until recently been dealt with largely by neurologists and psychologists, not linguists."
    Last edited by Naamplao; 29-Oct-2007 at 15:35. Reason: adding Anglika's excellent find

"...a linguistic phenomenon..."

Thank you!