• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

squirm

Dear teachers,

Recently I have read an quote of the actor Ryan Costling on taking difficult roles:

"I like to make myself squirm. That's when I'm good."

At first sight that's not to my fancy. I made inquires in the dictionary and fixed the meaning of this word.

1. to twist about or wriggling , snakelike motion, writhe (to writhe under insult, to writhe with shame)
    2. to feel or exhibit signs of humiliation or embarrassment

It seems to me that this man is a sado-masochist.

Could you explain to me the usage of this word as well as tell me whether this word is common in English language.

V.

Re: squirm

Here squirm can mean many things. Usually, I would tend to think of this sentence simply as "I don't make things easy for myself". The word squirm is used fairly often in speach and in writing. In literature it does bring quite strong images to mind. In summary, it is quite a powerful word that is in common usage.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recently I have read an quote of the actor Ryan Costling on taking difficult roles:

"I like to make myself squirm. That's when I'm good."

At first sight that's not to my fancy. I made inquires in the dictionary and fixed the meaning of this word.

1. to twist about or wriggling , snakelike motion, writhe (to writhe under insult, to writhe with shame)
    2. to feel or exhibit signs of humiliation or embarrassment

It seems to me that this man is a sado-masochist.

Could you explain to me the usage of this word as well as tell me whether this word is common in English language.

V.
    This is a common usage. It means to feel uneasy, anxious

When he feels this way, he is not confident of what he is doing so probably he must concentrate more on his work....ending in a better result.

Often when we feel confident, we don't invest the effort to become better at what we do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Niall,

Thank you for your illustrative example. I give my consent to your preference for this powerful word. The truth is that many words of English language are very weird in the beginning, but after the convincing explanation, which I receive from the respected teachers and the experienced NSEL's I become the feeling that this mysterious and enigmatic words, lose their mysteriousness and turn in precious stones and gems, that I try to use later in my daily grind.

As proof of this I will repeat the mention above quote:

I like to make myself squirm. That's when I'm good.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Naamplao,

You are always on top of your's form. I follow regularly your post and try to buy many things from you.

I see - you speak about the need of the permanent need of impulses, stimulus, incitements, drive.

Thank you again for your unimpeachable explanation.

V.