• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

used to

"After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used on the way home to drop into my rooms, sometimes for an hour..."

Is the part in bold correct?

Re: used to

Quote Originally Posted by spenser View Post
    "After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used on the way home to drop into my rooms, sometimes for an hour..."

Is the part in bold correct?
    Nope....

"After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she would drop into my room on the way back to her home, sometimes for an hour..."

I would rather say:
    "After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used to, on the way home, drop into my rooms, sometimes for an hour..."

but better still is the sentence:
    "After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used to drop into my rooms on the way home, sometimes for an hour..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    I would rather say:
    "After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used to, on the way home, drop into my rooms, sometimes for an hour..."

but better still is the sentence:
    "After that for more than a year whenever Rosie came out with me she used to drop into my rooms on the way home, sometimes for an hour..."
    Why is 'rooms' (rather than 'room') used in this sentence? Was Rosie a building inspector?
    "After that, for more than a year when Rosie came out with me, she used to drop into my room (house/apartment) as she headed home. We'd sometimes visit for an hour..."

Cheers,
    Amigos4

It is possibly a set of rented rooms in a college or university - the term is still used in Oxford and Cambridge where in college a student will have a bedroom and a sitting room.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is possibly a set of rented rooms in a college or university - the term is still used in Oxford and Cambridge where in college a student will have a bedroom and a sitting room.
    Anglika,
    Thank you for the locational clarification. I'd venture a guess that most of us on the other side of the pond would not have known that fact.

Cheers,
    Amigos4