Mrs.

I am married and therefore use the title Mrs., however I've been told that when I am refered to by my first name I should use the title Miss (Miss Bonnie.) Is this correct?

Re: Mrs.

No, this is not necessary at all.
    In titles, the title Mrs. will always be used on official documentation.

In some traditional American literature, the address "Miss" followed by a first name was used as a polite was of speaking on first name terms. This traditionally held value does still hold with some people, but generally, a married woman is always referred to as Mrs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    No, this is not necessary at all.
    In titles, the title Mrs. will always be used on official documentation.

In some traditional American literature, the address "Miss" followed by a first name was used as a polite was of speaking on first name terms. This traditionally held value does still hold with some people, but generally, a married woman is always referred to as Mrs.
    Niall,
    I'm not sure 'always' is totally accurate.
    As a school administrator, several of my pre-school and kindergarten teachers prefer to use the title "Miss" followed by their first name when they are working with their students. Outside the classroom, Connie Smith would be 'Mrs.' Connie Smith; inside the classroom she would be called 'Miss' Connie.
    Teachers with difficult last names to pronounce frequently use only the first letter of their last name. For example, Mrs. Krzyzewski would be called Mrs. K.
    The important issue here is not what the actual title is but that a formal title is used when children address an adult by name.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Perhaps my sentence should have read "should always" :P.
    Indeed, childrens' use of the word "Miss" as the title of a married woman is quite simular to children using the title "sir" for their male teachers, regardless of whether or not the teacher holds a peerage.