Two Qs

I would like to ask native speakers of English the following questions.

The world is rapidly becoming globalized. This globalization refers to the idea that the Earth is one society and all people are its citizens. We are gradually coming to realize that people need to have this global awareness as members of our global village in order to maintain and protect the environment of the Earth and to cooperate in living peacefully together.

I would like to know the relation of the to-infinitive phrase to cooperate in living peacefully together in the sentence. I think it is related to “people need to cooperate in living peacefully together, when I think about the meaning. What would you think?

I think a sentence in the passage "we can only solve these problems by communication" is differet in meaning from "we can solve these problems only by communication" So the former doesn't mean "communication is the only way to solve the problmes," does it?

Consultation with wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems will hopefully lead to a solution.

I would like to know the subject of the sentence “Consultation with wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems” I think its meaning is separated as /Consultation with wisdom/ and /understanding of the background to these problems/. Is the following separation in meaning possible that Consultation with /wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems/? I mean wisdom and understanding are the objects of the prep. with.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Progress; 02-Nov-2007 at 16:46. Reason: addition

Re: Two Qs

Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I would like to ask native speakers of English the following questions.

The world is rapidly becoming globalized. This globalization refers to the idea that the Earth is one society and all people are its citizens. We are gradually coming to realize that people need to have this global awareness as members of our global village in order to maintain and protect the environment of the Earth and to cooperate in living peacefully together.

I would like to know the relation of the to-infinitive phrase to cooperate in living peacefully together in the sentence. I think it is related to “people need to cooperate in living peacefully together, when I think about the meaning. What would you think? You are correct.

I think a sentence in the passage "we can only solve these problems by communication" is differet in meaning from "we can solve these problems only by communication" So the former doesn't mean "communication is the only way to solve the problmes," does it? No - it is emphasising that communication is essential in enabling people to solve problems.

Consultation with wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems will hopefully lead to a solution.

I would like to know the subject of the sentence “Consultation with wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems” I think its meaning is separated as /Consultation with wisdom/ and /understanding of the background to these problems/. Is the following separation in meaning possible that Consultation with /wisdom and understanding of the background to these problems/? I mean wisdom and understanding are the objects of the prep. with. Not quite: "Consultation with wisdom" and "understanding of the background" are two separate elements. The object of "with" is only "wisdom".

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much, Anglika.