1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

''Shoot yourself in the foot''

Im really confused with the title and to be honest i have no clue what to write about!I have a week to return this essay before the dead line.Please don't hesitate to share with me! A Friendly advise would be appreciated!Thank you !

Re: ''Shoot yourself in the foot''

First of all, deadline is one word.

Secondly, "Shoot yourself in the foot," means to do something that is directly harmful to yourself in response to external stimulus.

By turning the thief into the police, the embezzler shot himself in the foot, as the thief turned over the embezzler's financial ledger.

Wholeman

Quote Originally Posted by drumoff View Post
    Im really confused with the title and to be honest i have no clue what to write about!I have a week to return this essay before the dead line.Please don't hesitate to share with me! A Friendly advise would be appreciated!Thank you !
    Imagine a gunfighter in the old American West (I seem to be using this analogy a lot lately). But he is not a competent gunfighter...he is rather clumsy. He starts to draw his gun from his holster but in his nervous excitement he pulls the trigger to early and the bullet goes into his foot. He has literally shot himself in the foot!!!

Now imagine someone who is in an office. He is jealous of a co-worker. To make this co-worker look bad to the administration of the company, he decides to sabotage that person's work. But his victim finds out about the sabotage and fixes the damage in a manner that gets the attention of the company administration. This co-worker is rewarded with a promotion because of their dedication to their work. The jealous worker has just shot himself in the foot.

When you shoot yourself in the foot you do something that you thought would make you look good or bring something good to you, but it turns out bad and has the opposite effect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeman View Post
    First of all, deadline is one word.

Secondly, "Shoot yourself in the foot," means to do something that is directly harmful to yourself in response to external stimulus.

By turning the thief into the police, the embezzler shot himself in the foot, as the thief turned over the embezzler's financial ledger.

Wholeman
    Dear Wholeman ,you are a life- saver,I owe you!!!!!!!

drumoff,

You are welcome.

Naamplao,

That is a good analogy.

You should check this:

He starts to draw his gun from his holster but in his nervous excitement he pulls the trigger too early and the bullet goes into his foot.

Maybe I'm too critical about to and too?

Come to think of it, there are others who are too.

Wholeman

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeman View Post
    drumoff,

You are welcome.

Naamplao,

That is a good analogy.

You should check this:

He starts to draw his gun from his holster but in his nervous excitement he pulls the trigger too early and the bullet goes into his foot.

Maybe I'm too critical about to and too?

Come to think of it, there are others who are too.

Wholeman
    {sigh} spell checkers don't do everything!