without you

Hi there.

"And now it's only fair that I should let you know what you should know."

1. What does 'only' mean?

2. Is it OK to say, "..now it's fair only that I should let you know what you should know"? Without changing its meaning.

"I can't forget this evening
    Or your face as you were leaving"

3. Is the quote short for: I can't forget this evening or I can't forget your face as you were leaving"?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: without you

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Hi there.

"And now it's only fair that I should let you know what you should know."

1. What does 'only' mean?

2. Is it OK to say, "..now it's fair only that I should let you know what you should know"? Without changing its meaning.

"I can't forget this evening
    Or your face as you were leaving"

3. Is the quote short for: I can't forget this evening or I can't forget your face as you were leaving"?

Thanks in advance.

You are listening to some great music!!!

"And now it's only fair that I should let you know what you should know." Take out the word 'only' and read the sentence. The singer is saying that, because of the relationship, he wants to tell the girl how much he cares for her. Because he let her go the night before, it's 'only fair' ( it's the right thing to do because of his weakness in letting her go when he really wanted her to stay).

2. Is it OK to say, "..now it's fair only that I should let you know what you should know"? Without changing its meaning. No! Placing 'only' after 'fair' changes the whole meaning of the sentence. Once, again, remove 'only' from the sentence and see what you get. Do you see the difference in meaning?

3. Is the quote short for: I can't forget this evening or I can't forget your face as you were leaving"? The man is totally in love with the woman! He can't forget about all of the wonderful things that happened on their date. He also remembers the expression on the face of the girl as she left him. He is overwhelmed by his strong feelings for this lady!!!

In essence, the lady has captured the mind, heart, and soul of the man! Not a bad deal for either of them!

Cheers,
    Amigos4