1. WritingApuppy2

A heavy meal

Hi. I looked up "heavy" in the phrase "a heavy meal" and I got "very rich and hard to digest".

So does this refer to meals/food that is high in fat/oil/lipid? Like KFC and such? What constitutes "richness" in food? A lot of carbs and fats? And what qualifies for "hard to digest"? Fibres are hard to digest however I don't think one is supposed to say that veggies are "heavy".

I hope this post doesn't sound too scienc-y to qualify as a legit language question. I just don't know where to turn.

Regards.
    Edit/Delete Message

Re: A heavy meal

Rich refers to the high content of butter, cream, oil eggs etc. "Hard to digest" Those mentioned before are certainly a part of this group, and so are foods rich in fat and proteins, such as beef, lamb, goose, duck, salmon trout etc.
    And of course it's a legitimate question...I only hope I've given a full enough answer!
    Moggy

Quote Originally Posted by WritingApuppy2 View Post
    Hi. I looked up "heavy" in the phrase "a heavy meal" and I got "very rich and hard to digest".

So does this refer to meals/food that is high in fat/oil/lipid? Like KFC and such? What constitutes "richness" in food? A lot of carbs and fats? And what qualifies for "hard to digest"? Fibres are hard to digest however I don't think one is supposed to say that veggies are "heavy".

I hope this post doesn't sound too scienc-y to qualify as a legit language question. I just don't know where to turn.

Regards.
    Edit/Delete Message
    A "heavy meal" might be one starting with a thick rich soup [Turtle Soup was a classic one], followed by roast meat [preferably pork or beef] served with potatoes, gravy, dumplings or Yorkshire pudding, and perhaps cabbage, followed by a suet pudding with fruit in it, and ending with cheese.

Essentially it is an "indigestible meal", high in fats and carbohydrates.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"A heavy meal" can be anything that is very filling. For example, even a large hamburger and an order of fries can be considered "heavy" if it completely fills you up and you feel like all you want to do after you eat is sit or lay down for an hour and not move.