Three Questions

I would like to ask native speakers of English the following three questions.

#1 Are the words “Paul’s car” counted as two words?

#2 Will you stop where those two steps are? First I think at the place is omitted in the front of where. I mean “Will you stop at the place where those two steps are? Does it often happen? Second, what is “two steps?” Is it a stairs that consists of two footsteps? How do you count a stairs? You don’t count the floor(ground)? and first step, second step and when you reach the entrance floor, you don’t count the floor? Is it like this? http://www.sapporo-heavenstudio.com/blues/bluesimage/bobby2.jpg

#3 There was a junior high school boy who loved his parents but had tried hard to ignore his parents without any reason. The farther, especially, was sad, tried to open the son’s heart in vain and cried. Through his tears he went on to tell the boy that he wanted to be a part of his life.It killed the boy to think that he had hurt him so deeply. Both of them cried. In the days that followed, he tried to sitting in the living room with his parents while they drank their coffee.

What does through his tears mean? Is it during his crying?

In this case, which words have the closest meaning of in the days that followed?
    A, From the day after that, B, in the future, C, The next day, D, For a few days
    What is the difference between A From the day after that and C The next day? and Which is correct?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Progress; 06-Nov-2007 at 17:14. Reason: addition

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: Three Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I would like to ask native speakers of English the following three questions.

#1 Are the words “Paul’s car” counted as two words?

#2 Will you stop where those two steps are? First I think at the place is omitted in the front of where. I mean “Will you stop at the place where those two steps are? Does it often happen? Second, what is “two steps?” Is it a stairs that consists of two footsteps? How do you count a stairs? You don’t count the floor(ground)? and first step, second step and when you reach the entrance floor, you don’t count the floor? Is it like this? http://www.sapporo-heavenstudio.com/blues/bluesimage/bobby2.jpg

#3 There was a junior high school boy who loved his parents but had tried hard to ignore his parents without any reason. The farther, especially, was sad, tried to open the son’s heart in vain and cried. Through his tears he went on to tell the boy that he wanted to be a part of his life.It killed the boy to think that he had hurt him so deeply. Both of them cried. In the days that followed, he tried to sitting in the living room with his parents while they drank their coffee.

What does through his tears mean? Is it during his crying?

In this case, which words have the closest meaning of in the days that followed?
    A, From the day after that, B, in the future, C, The next day, D, For a few days
    What is the difference between A From the day after that and C The next day? and Which is correct?

Thank you very much.
    Although I`m not a native speaker, here is my opinion on your questions:

1. Yes, there two words ; they have different functions in a sentence.

e.g. Paul`s car is new.

Car - subject

Paul - attribute

2. It`s not necessary to use at the place , because where means in or at the place, part, point, etc., in or at which: The book is where you left it..

I don`t know the exact context, but two steps might mean two marks or impressions made by the foot on the ground; footprints.

As for the word stair, here is the meaning found in the dictionary:

1. stair : one of a flight or series of steps for going from one level to another, as in a building.
    2.stairs, such steps collectively, esp. as forming a flight or a series of flights: I was so excited I ran all the way up the stairs.

3. Through means -in this context - while crying / while he was crying
    The correct answer is A, meaning from that day on [forward]. The next day means only the following day - tomorrow - it does not imply any more days - just one : the next or the following day.

A. From the day after that = the following days
    C. The next day = the following day
    Last edited by Teia; 06-Nov-2007 at 18:22.

Thank you very much, Teia.

I would like to ask native speakers of English.
    #2 "Will you stop where those two steps are?" the boy asked. He run up the steps.
    First I think at the place is omitted in the front of where. I mean ďWill you stop at the place where those two steps are? Does it often happen? Second, what is ďtwo steps?Ē Is it a stairs that consists of two footsteps? How do you count a stairs? You donít count the floor(ground)? and first step, second step and when you reach the entrance floor, you donít count the floor? Is it like this? http://www.sapporo-heavenstudio.com/blues/bluesimage/bobby2.jpg

..."where those two steps are". This implies that the ground is not level, and so two steps have been built to aid moving from one level to another.

There was a junior high school student who loved his parents but had tried hard to ignore his parents without any reason.

This doesn't make sense. Perhaps, ..."but had tried hard not to show it." If this boy loves his parents, but then tries hard to ignore them, it doesn['t make sense that he does this "without any reason". Is the intended meaning, the boy loves his parents; the boy tries hard to ignore his parents EVEN THOUGH the parents have not done anything to give the boy any reason why he should treat them in that way.

The father, especially, was sad, and tried to open his sonís heart in vain, so that he cried. Through his tears he went on to tell the boy that he wanted to be a part of his life.It killed the boy to think that he had hurt him so deeply. Both of them cried. In the days that followed, he tried (omit 'to') sitting in the living room with his parents while they drank their coffee.

"Through his tears". When we cry, we not only have teardrops coming down our faces, but we usually make sobbing noises and sounds. So when we try to speak, the words we are speaking have to come through, penetrate through the sobbing sounds.

Thank you very much, David L.

#1 about two steps.
    Is it like this? http://www.featherstonewinery.ca/ima...ssteps_088.jpg

#2 Thanks for the correction. But,the boy was rebelious and kept his parents off. Why the son's heart should be his son's heart.

Through his tears means (penetrate) through his tears, neither while nor during crying, doesn't it?