Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    may or might

    1.We're not sure, but there ____ have been a plane crash earlier today.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)


    2.With a bit of luck, there ____ be time to do it.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)


    3.There's a good chance it ____ rain this evening.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (1)


    I think all of the questions above are dealing with levels of certainty. When these two auxiliaries are referring to certainty, both are interchangeable. I don't understand the third one. :wink:


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: may or might

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    1.We're not sure, but there ____ have been a plane crash earlier today.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)
    I would say (2) [uncertain situation]

    2.With a bit of luck, there ____ be time to do it.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)
    I would say (3) too [again, uncertain situation, but possiblity too]

    3.There's a good chance it ____ rain this evening.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (1)
    I would say (1) too [possibility]

    FRC

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: may or might

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    1.We're not sure, but there ____ have been a plane crash earlier today.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)


    2.With a bit of luck, there ____ be time to do it.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (3)


    3.There's a good chance it ____ rain this evening.
    (1)may
    (2)might
    (3)Either could be used here.
    Answer: (1)


    I think all of the questions above are dealing with levels of certainty. When these two auxiliaries are referring to certainty, both are interchangeable. I don't understand the third one. :wink:
    I agree with you. It is certainly "either" in the first two. The objection to "might" in the last is probably based on having "might" clash with "a good chance". I agree with that, but I would make the same argument with "may". I would say "It may/might rain" or "There's a good chance it will rain".


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Indeed. I think so too. Thanks a bunch.
    You just made my day! :D

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Indeed. I think so too. Thanks a bunch.
    You just made my day! :D
    I am happy to serve you immigrants from Mars. It is such a lovely planet. 8)


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Indeed. I think so too. Thanks a bunch.
    You just made my day! :D
    I am happy to serve you immigrants from Mars. It is such a lovely planet. 8)

    You Earthilings have served me well.
    It's getting hard to say farewell.

    :D

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 52,311
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    I must say that the NASA photos of Mars didn't make me want to go there.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I must say that the NASA photos of Mars didn't make me want to go there.
    It's a long trip, and there are no stops on the way.
    It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay.

    :wink:


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Indeed. I think so too. Thanks a bunch.
    You just made my day! :D
    I am happy to serve you immigrants from Mars. It is such a lovely planet. 8)

    You Earthilings have served me well.
    It's getting hard to say farewell.

    :D
    Shall I take you to our leader, Red5?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •