What is this ad about?

Hello, everybody. Could you explain the following ad for me please?
    [ Not stressing about the brochure as usual
    Not fretting about the expense as usual
    Not color as usual
    Not business as usual ]
    Does anyone happen to have seen this ad? I don’t understand what this piece of ad is promoting. And I find the structure a bit odd, especially the last two lines------I suppose the verbs in the two lines are omitted, do you think so? Because I think it is ungrammatical to use “not” in front of an adjective, shouldn’t it be “no”? Could anyone clarify it for me? Thanks in advance.
    Belinda

Re: What is this ad about?

Quote Originally Posted by belinda huang View Post
    Hello, everybody. Could you explain the following ad for me please?
    [ Not stressing about the brochure as usual
    Not fretting about the expense as usual
    Not color as usual
    Not business as usual ]
    Does anyone happen to have seen this ad? I don’t understand what this piece of ad is promoting. And I find the structure a bit odd, especially the last two lines------I suppose the verbs in the two lines are omitted, do you think so? Because I think it is ungrammatical to use “not” in front of an adjective, shouldn’t it be “no”? Could anyone clarify it for me? Thanks in advance.
    Belinda
    You don't describe the ad. It seems like a travel ad to me. The only phrase I don't really understand is "not color as usual". Describing the picture that is with the ad would help.

Marketing and advertisements often use bad grammar to attract attention.

(It is) not business as usual.

There are implied words as I have shown above. "Business as usual" means how something is normally done. So "not" in front of this makes sense.

I’m sorry I can’t provide more information. I only get a picture of it I took from my book, and i'll try to upload it. The picture doesn’t provide much information either, I’m afraid. The background scene of the ad seems to be a building. I think you’re right: this ad just uses bad grammar to attract attention. Perhaps it doesn’t deserve our efforts to figure it out. Thank you for replying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda huang View Post
    I’m sorry I can’t provide more information. I only get a picture of it I took from my book, and i'll try to upload it. The picture doesn’t provide much information either, I’m afraid. The background scene of the ad seems to be a building. I think you’re right: this ad just uses bad grammar to attract attention. Perhaps it doesn’t deserve our efforts to figure it out. Thank you for replying to me.
    It looks to me that it might be a banking ad and they are trying to say that they do business different from other banks.

If you want to see the photo of the ad, I can send it by e-mail, for I seemed to fail to upload it. If you don't mind, you can give me your e-mail address.

Your scan included a few lines from the author of the book in which this photo appeared, where he asks the reader to consider the ad in terms of its effectiveness as communication. Well, I think the way we've all been scratching our heads, we've answered that one!
    I suspect this was written, or translated, by a non-native speaker. We would not say, "stressing on". When I buy an electronic product made in Asia, at times the manual is amusing in its mistakes in English expression, and sometimes downright confusing.
    If I had to 'divine' what this ad is about, I'd imagine that it was an ad put out to advertise the services of an advertising agency. What the ad is trying to point out is the importance of the impact forms of advertising make on the reader. So - if your business company doesn't bother using brochures; and you don't consider cost of advertising in relation to what you expect to recoup in terms of new business; or you do your ads in black and white because it's cheaper even though colour has far greater impact; then it won't be attracting business as usual, and in the long term you won't be running a business as usual, because you will attract fewer clients/customers and your existing clients may be attracted by the glossy ads of other companies, and your company suffer a down turn.
    I may be totally wrong - that's just the meaning it suggests to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Your scan included a few lines from the author of the book in which this photo appeared, where he asks the reader to consider the ad in terms of its effectiveness as communication. Well, I think the way we've all been scratching our heads, we've answered that one!
    I suspect this was written, or translated, by a non-native speaker. We would not say, "stressing on". When I buy an electronic product made in Asia, at times the manual is amusing in its mistakes in English expression, and sometimes downright confusing.
    If I had to 'divine' what this ad is about, I'd imagine that it was an ad put out to advertise the services of an advertising agency. What the ad is trying to point out is the importance of the impact forms of advertising make on the reader. So - if your business company doesn't bother using brochures; and you don't consider cost of advertising in relation to what you expect to recoup in terms of new business; or you do your ads in black and white because it's cheaper even though colour has far greater impact; then it won't be attracting business as usual, and in the long term you won't be running a business as usual, because you will attract fewer clients/customers and your existing clients may be attracted by the glossy ads of other companies, and your company suffer a down turn.
    I may be totally wrong - that's just the meaning it suggests to me.
    Thank you so much, David. I agree with you that this ad may be translated from Chinese. Why didn't I think of this? As for its effectiveness as communication, I have to say it's really confusing---it challenges even native speakers. And I think your interpretation sounds like a probable one. At least it makes sense to me. Thanks again.