some slangs needed help

I watched a movie today called: " Jump in". There are some expressions I cannot take in like:
    " Corny much?"
    " come on .... ( something I cannot remember).... with come on"
    And when the actor was practicing with the punchbag, his coach said: Come on, pick it up
    And in another movie, they have a saying :"In a crunch time, your heart will be so buff". What is a crunch time?
    Please help me
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 08-Nov-2007 at 12:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: some slangs needed help

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    I watched a movie today called: " Jump in". There are some expressions I cannot take in like:
    " Corny much?"
    First of all, when something is described as "corny," it means that it is old-fashioned or cliche, something definitely not current or "cool." Adding "much?" to a word or phrase is a fairly recent slang term in AmE that is a condensed way of asking "Do you behave this way often?" or "Is this something you do frequently?" So, for example, if you were with a friend and he was posing for some very traditional, stereotypical photos with his family, you might roll your eyes at ask him sarcastically, "Corny much?"

" come on .... ( something I cannot remember).... with come on"
    And when the actor was practicing with the punchbag, his coach said: Come on, pick it up
    For the first part, I'd need the part you can't remember in order to explain it. "Come on, pick it up" means to work faster or harder. For example, if you were out jogging with your personal trainer and you started to get tired and slowed down and dragged your feet, he'd say "come on, pick it up!" meaning you should get back in the groove and keep a steady pace and stop being lazy.

And in another movie, they have a saying :"In a crunch time, your heart will be so buff". What is a crunch time?
    Please help me
    "Crunch time" is that period when you're nearing a deadline. If you're a student, crunch time might be the Sunday night before you have to turn in a research paper on Monday morning, and you haven't even begun to work on it yet. If you're a basketball player, crunch time is the final few minutes of the game and the score is tied - you have to make every last minute of play count. In business, crunch time could be those last few hours when you have to put together a sales proposal to a customer, knowing that you're competing against several other suppliers.

Re: some slangs needed help

Thanks for your very clear explanation, Ouisch. Do you know any websites that help me on American slang?
    I've asked some of my American friends, most of them do not know of " Corny much"