1. Unregistered

some questions about the news

Hi, I have some questions about the news.
    Gates: Japan must step up its role - CNN.com
    1.Is the word "Friday" wrongly used in the first paragraph? I think the word should be "Thursday".
    2.In the 4th paragraph, I find "on that Thursday" wrong. Why not "on this Thursday " or "on Thursday"? Or does the word "that" in this context mean a certain idea or concept previously mentioned, and if the word "that" in this context is a certain idea or concept previously mentioned, what is the idea or concept?

Re: some questions about the news

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, I have some questions about the news.
    Gates: Japan must step up its role - CNN.com
    1.Is the word "Friday" wrongly used in the first paragraph? I think the word should be "Thursday". It was actually "Friday" [today] - but don't forget the time differences across the world. See this report from Pravda: Robert Gates to urge Japanese leaders to step up global security efforts - Pravda.Ru
    2.In the 4th paragraph, I find "on that Thursday" wrong. Why not "on this Thursday " or "on Thursday"? Or does the word "that" in this context mean a certain idea or concept previously mentioned, and if the word "that" in this context is a certain idea or concept previously mentioned, what is the idea or concept? I think this piece has been written with the idea that it will become history and therefore the journalist is taking into consideration that it may be read at any point in the future and wishes the day to be clearly identified.