1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

this is another one

read the following and write a letter of about 150 words in english

'you have been working to do your best to make your office function efficiently, but there have been too many obstacles against you. So you have decided to resign. Write a letter to your superior stating the reasons you wish to resign, as well as criticizing the bureaucratic inertia of the office.

"To whom may it concerned

I am so sorry that i have decided to resign

When i came to the office first time, I was full of energy and passionate to do my best to make it function efficiently. But as time has gone by, i have realized that none of my collegues wants to be as i am. They are lethargy and sluggish to do works, affecting me in bad ways. Whenever i ask them to do our best on the works, they just say "Don't be so enthusiastic on it. Though we do not get it, there are bunch of people dealing with it." I have tried to deal with the situation, but just found that there is no solution.

It was a hard decision to resign this job since the company has offered me good payment and other stuffs. But without a tonic in the field, i can not keep going here.

I am sorry again for this

Yours sincerely

Joseph Choi."

p.s. hope you can correct me in grammar and other errors
    and since i am still not that familiar with dealing an official things please let me have a tip to make it (like how to start and finish the formal letter, and usual contents )

thank you for your help =)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: this is another one

To whom it may concern,

I am very sorry to inform you that I have decided to hand in my resignation as of ......(December 31, 2007).

When I first came to your office, I was full of energy and also passionate to do my job efficiently. But as time went by, I have come to believe that I cannot realize my full potential in your firm.

--> Sorry, I kind of changed all of the latter: You should try to avoid accusing people directly of a bad performance. The company's boss might take this as a personal insult and kick you out instead of accepting your resignation (if he is allowed to do that) or at least he might not give you a very nice reference letter for your next job. Though your task was to "criticize the bureaucratic inertia of the office" you should try to do this in a more subtle way. I do not say that the following excerpt is better as I also am not an English native speaker, but I gave it a try:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to fulfill my job in a way that would show my real talent. There have been many occasions where I felt that my enthusiasm and willingness to do my best were slowed down by my surroundings. Since the department I work at in your firm is presented as a 'team', the department's performance and attitude towards work also reflects on my personal performance and attitude, me being a member of this team; and I am convinced that the two don't always go conform.

I, again, regret having to tell you that after a very long time of concideration I, because of the reasons mentioned above, have
    come to the conclusion that I can no longer work for your company. I believe I have to give my career another chance and try to find a job where I can better unfold my potential.

I am nevertheless grateful for all the experience I have been able to gather at your company and hope that you will accept my resignation.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Choi."

--> "a bunch of people": You don't want to use a phrase like this in a formal letter. That is spoken language only.
    Last edited by savedhamlet554; 10-Nov-2007 at 00:06.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Re: this is another one

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet554 View Post
    To whom it may concern,

I am very sorry to inform you that I have decided to hand in my resignation as of ......(December 31, 2007).

When I first came to your office, I was full of energy and also passionate to do my job efficiently. But as time went by, I have come to believe that I cannot realize my full potential in your firm.

--> Sorry, I kind of changed all of the latter: You should try to avoid accusing people directly of a bad performance. The company's boss might take this as a personal insult and kick you out instead of accepting your resignation (if he is allowed to do that) or at least he might not give you a very nice reference letter for your next job. Though your task was to "criticize the bureaucratic inertia of the office" you should try to do this in a more subtle way. I do not say that the following excerpt is better as I also am not an English native speaker, but I gave it a try:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to fulfill my job in a way that would show my real talent. There have been many occasions where I felt that my enthusiasm and willingness to do my best were slowed down by my surroundings. Since the department I work at in your firm is presented as a 'team', the department's performance and attitude towards work also reflects on my personal performance and attitude, me being a member of this team; and I am convinced that the two don't always go conform.

I, again, regret having to tell you that after a very long time of concideration I, because of the reasons mentioned above, have
    come to the conclusion that I can no longer work for your company. I believe I have to give my career another chance and try to find a job where I can better unfold my potential.

I am nevertheless grateful for all the experience I have been able to gather at your company and hope that you will accept my resignation.

Yours sincerely

Joseph Choi."

--> "a bunch of people": You don't want to use a phrase like this in a formal letter. That is spoken language only.
    Thank you very much for helping me =) this helped me a lot. =)