• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Smile action/act/behavior

Many years before tragedy struck the campus of Virginia Tech, Professor Librescu had faced the horrors of the Holocaust--and survived. So perhaps when he heard gunshots outside his classroom on the morning of April 16, 2007, memories of violence prompted him to block the classroom door. This gave his students time to jump from the second story windows. But the 76-year-old professor couldn't withstand/endure/resist/oppose the gunman's force and was shot to death. In the days following the attack, students were full of praise for/to Professor Librescu and his heroic action/act/behavior.

For a start, I suspect all of the underlined words fit in the above context, but I doubt if they convey the same idea, especially the last three, action/act/behavior. What are the semantic differences among them?
    Second, what is the difference in meaning between "In the following days after the attack" and the part in bold?
    Thanks.

Re: action/act/behavior

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Many years before tragedy struck the campus of Virginia Tech, Professor Librescu had faced the horrors of the Holocaust--and survived. So perhaps when he heard gunshots outside his classroom on the morning of April 16, 2007, memories of violence prompted him to block the classroom door. This gave his students time to jump from the second story windows. But the 76-year-old professor couldn't withstand/endure/resist/oppose the gunman's force and was shot to death. In the days following the attack, students were full of praise for/to Professor Librescu and his heroic action/act/behavior.

For a start, I suspect all of the underlined words fit in the above context, but I doubt if they convey the same idea, especially the last three, action/act/behavior. What are the semantic differences among them?
    Second, what is the difference in meaning between "In the following days after the attack" and the part in bold?
    Thanks.

The highlighted words can be used in this passage.

"Endure" implies a period of time, "resist" and "oppose" imply defensive or offensive action taken

You cannot praise to someone. You can praise someone or have praise for someone.

"behaviour" is a more general term meaning the way in which someone/something behaves, whereas "action" or "act" are a single event.

"In the days following / that followed the attack" is a better way of expressing the period of time after the event.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: action/act/behavior

Thanks, Anglika, for the helpful reply.
    But there is still a bit confusion, namely, why is it a better way to write "In the days following the attack" than "In the following days after the attack?" I don't have the slightest idea.