• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

"patience on a monument"

Dear teachers,

Recently I note a strange for me expression in a common conversation.

"Will you kindly tell me what there is to laugh at? If you think it amuses me to stand here like patience on a monument an have my leg pulled you're mistaken."

Automatically I thought of the usage the same expression in the Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"

"pined in thought
    and with a green and yellow melancholy
    She sat like patience on a monument,
    Smiling at grief."

I guess that the expression "patience on the monument" refers to statues of the allegorical figure of Patience, which often adorned Renaissance tombstones.

Would you tell me whether the mentioned above expression is a common occurrence nowadays?

V.

Re: "patience on a monument"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recently I note a strange for me expression in a common conversation.

"Will you kindly tell me what there is to laugh at? If you think it amuses me to stand here like patience on a monument and have my leg pulled you're mistaken."

Automatically I thought of the usage the same expression in the Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"

"pined in thought
    and with a green and yellow melancholy
    She sat like patience on a monument,
    Smiling at grief."

I guess that the expression "patience on the monument" refers to statues of the allegorical figure of Patience, which often adorned Renaissance tombstones.

Would you tell me whether the mentioned above expression is a common occurrence nowadays?

V.
    This is a very rare expression. In fact it is the first time I have ever heard it. To me it just describes something to be "stiff, unmoving, almost emotionless or at least not expressing the proper emotion for the person really feels.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Naamplao,

Thank you for your explicit point of view.

As far I am concerned, I hold a high opinion for your estimations in respect of English language and consequently I will forget this idiom without delay.

V.

On the other hand, it is used here, even if chiefly by educated people, and has a wonderfully expressive nature. If you want to use it I don't see why you should not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your well-timed intervention.

Your eloquent statement concerning the usage of the mentioned above idiom sounds very convincing and shows just cause for its tempered usage. I'm very fond of the uncommon and eccentric expressions, but there have to be a limit for everything. And yet, the people shouldn't think that I am a very flatulent person.

Thank you for your perspicacity.

V.