Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 86
    #1

    Question Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Dear Mr Answer:

    As everyone knows, Gerunds can be used after Prepositions, but
    1. Do you object to working late?
    2. I look forward to hearing from you.
    "To" is Preposition as well, so that's the problom: When I should use "to"+gerund? when I should use "to"+infinitive? please give me some rules and examples,thank you all~



    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #2

    Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by shinji002 View Post
    Dear Mr Answer:
    As everyone knows, Gerunds can be used after Prepositions, but
    1. Do you object to working late?
    2. I look forward to hearing from you.
    "To" is Preposition as well, so that's the problom: When I should use "to"+gerund? when I should use "to"+infinitive? please give me some rules and examples,thank you all~
    Actually "to" is not a preposition in these sentences. "to" is part of the phrasal verbs "object to" and "look forward to".

    So in this case "working" and "hearing" are gerunds that are the objects of their respective verbs.

    There are no real rules that hold for all cases. Some verbs take both infinitives and gerunds, some just take gerunds and some take only infinitives.

    This like may help you Using Gerunds and Infinitives

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 86
    #3

    Question Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Actually "to" is not a preposition in these sentences. "to" is part of the phrasal verbs "object to" and "look forward to".

    So in this case "working" and "hearing" are gerunds that are the objects of their respective verbs.

    There are no real rules that hold for all cases. Some verbs take both infinitives and gerunds, some just take gerunds and some take only infinitives.

    This like may help you Using Gerunds and Infinitives

    I've been seeing "Using Gerunds and Infinitives" the website you sent to me, but look at here(from website"Using Gerunds and Infinitives"):
    Note: Take care not to confuse the preposition "to" with an infinitive form, or with an auxiliary form such as have to, used to, going to
    He went back to writing his paper.[PREPOSITION + GERUND]I used to live in Mexico.[AUXILIARY + VERB]I want to go home. [VERB + INFINITIVE]
    I can't make clear when either use "to+infinitive" or "to+Gerund"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #4

    Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Dear comrade, may I refer you to this old link for reference:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...nfinitive.html

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 86
    #5

    Question Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Dear comrade, may I refer you to this old link for reference:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...nfinitive.html
    I reallly don't understand it pal, I'm sorry, I've tried.... but it seems like no answer finally....
    In fact, the only thing that I want to know is the differences between "to+infinitive" and "to+gerund", how do I use them in different situations....
    Is that really difficult to understand?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #6

    Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by shinji002 View Post
    I reallly don't understand it pal, I'm sorry, I've tried.... but it seems like no answer finally....
    In fact, the only thing that I want to know is the differences between "to+infinitive" and "to+gerund", how do I use them in different situations....
    Is that really difficult to understand?
    Well, if "to" is a prepostion, it must be followed by a noun or gerund, whereas if "to" is an infinitive, it must be followed by a verbal particle.
    You can try this, if the phrase after "to" can be replaced by "it", "to" is a preposition, if not, an infinitive. Got it?
    1. Do you object to (it/something) working late? (preposition)
    2. I look forward to (it/something) hearing from you. (preposition)
    Still all at sea? The teachers here may lend you a hand. Bye.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #7

    Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by shinji002 View Post
    I've been seeing "Using Gerunds and Infinitives" the website you sent to me, but look at here(from website"Using Gerunds and Infinitives"):
    Note: Take care not to confuse the preposition "to" with an infinitive form, or with an auxiliary form such as have to, used to, going to
    He went back to (it/something) writing his paper(it seemed to me that it was said by someone else).[PREPOSITION + GERUND]I used to(a modal) live in Mexico.[AUXILIARY + VERB]I want to go(if replaced by "it/something": doesn't make sense) home. [VERB + INFINITIVE]
    I can't make clear when either use "to+infinitive" or "to+Gerund"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 86
    #8

    Re: Very Difficult Question for me,help me, please

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Well, if "to" is a prepostion, it must be followed by a noun or gerund, whereas if "to" is an infinitive, it must be followed by a verbal particle.
    You can try this, if the phrase after "to" can be replaced by "it", "to" is a preposition, if not, an infinitive. Got it?
    1. Do you object to (it/something) working late? (preposition)
    2. I look forward to (it/something) hearing from you. (preposition)
    Still all at sea? The teachers here may lend you a hand. Bye.
    THNK YOU~~~!!! It gets clearer~~~~

Similar Threads

  1. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 11:33
  2. a difficult grammar question
    By curious in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2006, 07:58
  3. This is a 'very difficult' question......
    By leesks in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2005, 09:18
  4. A deceptively difficult question
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2004, 02:22
  5. 2 difficult question
    By Bandit in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jul-2004, 11:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •