• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

word

I hear this from the movie " Waterloo Bridge".

A. "There is someone else, isn't there? Don't be afraid, tell me."
    B." No, there isn't anyone else. I loved you. I 've never loved anyone else. I never shall. That's the truth."

"Loved" here means what? why not just use " love"? Please.

Re: word

I heard this in the movie " Waterloo Bridge".

In the movie, Vivien Leigh fell in love with Robert Taylor, and then, as I recall, he had to go off to war. As you know from seeing the movie, Vivien's character turned to "entertaining" men to make money. I can't remember why she stopped loving him, but she uses the past tense, "I loved you" because she is telling him she once loved him but not any more. (As it now comes back to me: she is just saying that she no longer loves him as she realizes that if they rekindled their relationship, and Robert Taylor found out about her recent past, he would probably reject her (such were the morals at that time!). So, even though she does still love him, she tells him she doesn't so that he believes it's all over between them. But she can't be totally cruel to the man she still loves. She tells him that she did love him, and that she has never loved anyone else since. Because she is still in love with him, she cannot imagine falling in love with any other man in the future, and so she can truthfully say, "I never shall. That's the truth."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Is it possible that "loved" means the love which is long and deep?

Please.

No - love is the emotion, and we would have to use other words to qualify it. For example, She loved him, loved him deeply, with an exquisite longing she had never felt before.

(You've got me sounding like Barbara Cartland (a famous writer of romantic stories)(lol)

It is simply the use of tenses. Now I love, yesterday I loved. The Vivien character says that she did love him before they separated, but it immediately implies she no longer does. Otherwise, a girl might say, "Yes, I loved you. I still do. But it can never be, we can never marry. My parents would forbid it."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

David,

I got your meaning. But I still a little confused. In the novel " Gone with the wind", Melanie once tell Scalet:

" She (India, Ashlly's sister)'s always been jealous because I loved you best"

You see, Melanie loves Scalet, this love never stops until Melanie's death. Why Melanie use" loved", not" loves"?

I see your confusion. Melanie is saying that, when they were girls growing up together, "I loved you best." She is referring to the past, where India's jealousy all started.
    They are adults now, with none of the child-like idea of loving someone better than another.