What is the difference between anticipate and expect

This question was asked some time ago, and I don't think that the answer given to the person who posted it was very clear, or correct.
    Would those who are learning English like to have a go at explaining what they think is the difference?
    I have been known to get on my soapbox, pontificating (=expressing one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic) as to the distinction between these two words(lol); so before I wade in, if you're interested, you might like to get in first! Don't be bashful - this is meant to be fun!
    Hmm. Some viewers, but no one wiling to give it a go/take a stab at it/give it a try. Do I seem like a stern, strict school teacher so that you are all a bit scared of making a mistake or getting it wrong? Far from it! I'm a pussycat.
    All right. Let me start the ball rolling. Which of the following sentences is correct? If you want to give it a go, can you say why?:
    1. When smoke began to appear from Mount St. Helens, the authorities expected this dormant volcano to erupt, and ordered the evacuation of citizens to safety.
    2. The patient was very ill, and relatives were told that the doctors expected he would not live.
    3. When the Senior Manager's position became vacant, Tom expected that he would be appointed, and was disappointed when a colleague was offered the job instead.
    4. When he heard that his father was very ill, Paul anticipated that he might have to fly home to Australia in a hurry, so he packed a suitcase so that it was all ready, just in case his father's condition deteriorated.
    5. The villagers downstream were alerted to expect widespread flooding if the heavy rains continued overnight.
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Nov-2007 at 15:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: What is the difference between anticipate and expect

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    This question was asked some time ago, and I don't think that the answer given to the person who posted it was very clear, or correct.
    Would those who are learning English like to have a go at explaining what they think is the difference?
    I have been known to get on my soapbox, pontificating (=expressing one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic) as to the distinction between these two words(lol); so before I wade in, if you're interested, you might like to get in first! Don't be bashful - this is meant to be fun!
    Hmm. Some viewers, but no one wiling to give it a go/take a stab at it/give it a try. Do I seem like a stern, strict school teacher so that you are all a bit scared of making a mistake or getting it wrong? Far from it! I'm a pussycat.
    All right. Let me start the ball rolling. Which of the following sentences is correct? If you want to give it a go, can you say why?:
    1. When smoke began to appear from Mount St. Helens, the authorities expected this dormant volcano to erupt, and ordered the evacuation of citizens to safety.
    2. The patient was very ill, and relatives were told that the doctors expected he would not live.
    3. When the Senior Manager's position became vacant, Tom expected that he would be appointed, and was disappointed when a colleague was offered the job instead.
    4. When he heard that his father was very ill, Paul anticipated that he might have to fly home to Australia in a hurry, so he packed a suitcase so that it was all ready, just in case his father's condition deteriorated.
    Hi

Here is my opinion on this:

1. When smoke began to appear from Mount St. Helen, the authorities expected this dormant volcano to erupt, and ordered the evacuation of citizens to safety.
    I`d say anticipated instead of expected. If you expect changes, you think they'll be coming soon; if you anticipate changes, you're preparing to deal with them.

2. The patient was very ill, and relatives were told that the doctors expected he would not live. The doctors could not anticipate ; they expected that the things might get worse. In my opinion expected is correctly used in this sentence.
    Here is what I found while searching:
    To expect….for many means to get the outcome that they “should” get

To anticipate… for many means to see the outcome that they “want” to get.
    I am not sure that the above interpretation of the difference is entirely correct.

3. When the Senior Manager's position became vacant, Tom expected that he would be appointed, and was disappointed when a colleague was offered the job instead.- correctly used. Tom could not 100% foresee his appointment as a Senior Manager. He only expected to be appointed because he regarded it as likely to happen.

4. When he heard that his father was very ill, Paul anticipated that he might have to fly home to Australia in a hurry, so he packed a suitcase so that it was all ready, just in case his father's condition deteriorated.[/QUOTE]- correctly used. Paul realized that his father`s condition was getting worse and worse and his sixth sense told him that something bad was going to happen. Paul got ready to face the problem and tried to be prepared in dealing with it.

I am not sure if my thinking is correct. I expect some native speakers to correct me but I cannot anticipate anything.

Thank you for responding to my post, and especially for being the first brave person to do so! (lol) I hope that your ideas will prompt others to have a go, so we can all become clear in our minds as to the difference in meaning between the two words.
    So, I will not 'reveal all' yet, as I expect that others will now also feel brave enough to post their ideas.
    ('reveal all' is an expression used in murder mysteries, were everyone is stumped as to who perpetrated (committed) the crime, and the detective asks everyone to 'assemble in the library', where he will 'reveal all' - that is, reveal the murderer, the motive, and exactly how he/she was able to pull it off (succeed in achieving something which seems very difficult or even impossible - a favourite is when a crime is committed in a locked room, so that no one could possibly have entered, yet the person in the room was murdered!)
    However, I will send you a private message telling you which ones are correct. Based on that, perhaps you can work out more about the difference is usage.
    Last edited by David L.; 11-Nov-2007 at 16:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Thank you for responding to my post, and especially for being the first brave person to do so! (lol) I hope that your ideas will prompt others to have a go, so we can all become clear in our minds as to the difference in meaning between the two words.
    So, I will not 'reveal all' yet, as I expect that others will now also feel brave enough to post their ideas.
    ('reveal all' is an expression used in murder mysteries, were everyone is stumped as to who perpetrated (committed) the crime, and the detective asks everyone to 'assemble in the library', where he will 'reveal all' - that is, reveal the murderer, the motive, and exactly how he/she was able to pull it off (succeed in achieving something which seems very difficult or even impossible - a favourite is when a crime is committed in a locked room, so that no one could possibly have entered, yet the person in the room was murdered!)
    However, I will send you a private message telling you which ones are correct. Based on that, perhaps you can work out more about the difference in usage.
    You are most welcome David. Thank you for your reply. I admit I have to work more on the difference between the two words. In Romanian this difference is obvious and I have to think it over in English as well.
    As for the word reveal, I know its meaning, especially because I watch the film series with Mr. Poirot, although I might seem a little out - of - date.

Out-of date because you watch and like the Poirot series?
    How insulting. I'm an avid fan of Agatha Christie's books, Poirot, and Miss Marple. That means I'm out-of-date and and fuddy-duddy also! (lol).