• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

let bygones be bygones

Dear teachers,

Lately I noted a fanny expression in a sentence, namely:

"I don't understand your attitude at all. If I'm willing to let bygones be bygones why should you object?"

With the help of the Dictionary.com I know that this expression means "to decide to forget past disagreements; become reconciled" as well as " to forgive and forget past causes of ill-feelings". I understand the general trend of this sentence, but I am irritated by the expression "let bygones be bygones".

Would you tell me whether this idiom is common in your language?

V.

Re: let bygones be bygones

Yes...it's a very common expression, an offer of reconciliation. Why does it irritate you?
    Moggy

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Moggy,

Thank you for your prompt, affirmative reply.

Now I will try to explain my irritation, or maybe more moderate my embarrassment.When I come across this expression the first time, after I had a consultation about its meaning, I experienced an inward feeling of lack of satisfaction, especially from the presence of the word "let" (cease) in this case. In my opinion, when there is mentioned an event as "remission", "resignation", "reconciliation", I usually remember about "atonement". There is forced to do "something", and not to be caught in inaction and be left in ignorance, thrown on the mercy of fate. I'm very sorry that I couldn't put in proper English words the thoughts, that well up in my mind.

Now I agree with your statement unreserved.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Moggy,

Thank you for your prompt, affirmative reply.

Now I will try to explain my irritation, or maybe more moderate my embarrassment.When I come across this expression the first time, after I had a consultation about its meaning, I experienced an inward feeling of lack of satisfaction, especially from the presence of the word "let" (cease) in this case. In my opinion, when there is mentioned an event as "remission", "resignation", "reconciliation", I usually remember about "atonement". There is forced to do "something", and not to be caught in inaction and be left in ignorance, thrown on the mercy of fate. I'm very sorry that I couldn't put in proper English words the thoughts, that well up in my mind.

Now I agree with your statement unreserved.

V.
    Okay Vil,
    Thanks for that. To begin with I think you've misinterpreted the word "let". In this case it means "to allow". It is in fact an offer to mutually agree to do something. You seem to have got the idea that it's a kind of de-powerment, when in fact it is quite the reverse. It's opening the gates for forgiveness and renewal of friendship; a positive constructive idea.

Hope this helps you to "make friends" with the phrase, Vil.
    Moggy

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Dear Moggy,

Your last reply deepened my understanding and attachment towards the problematic in the beginning for me expression "let bygones be bygones" as well as made me definitely it's friends and maybe zealous venerator henceforth.

Thank you for your persistence and staunchness.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear Moggy,

Your last reply deepened my understanding and attachment towards the problematic in the beginning for me expression "let bygones be bygones" as well as made me definitely it's friends and maybe zealous venerator henceforth.

Thank you for your persistence and staunchness.

V.
    My pleasure Vil, glad that I could be of service.

I am really impressed looking at your English.I wonder how do you write such good English with complicated words.Please do write to me how can I write like this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Dear Samfat 33,

I would first of all like to apologize once again fo the belated answer your post
    due to the fact that I was entirely in the dark.

I was not sure that your superlative words was hinted at my humble person. An yet I will take o's chance to answer to your question.

I'll try to share my modest experience. The synonymous answer yours
    question is as follow:"Reading, reading, and again reading. Reading different books, newspaper, and magazines. Reading (reading and writing for yourself) the highly varied posts by passive visit (like guest) different forums. Except for our present forum I would recommend you persistently to visit the Dictionary.com forums, especially delphyforum.com. The crown of laurels is the strict attendance our present forum, putting the problematic questions on the discussion table, as well as the implicit execution the wise advice, recommendations, and emendations, which were provided by our respected teachers, moderators,redactors and highly skilled natural speakers. I think this forum really is our Klondike."

I would also like to thank you very much indeed because you took the time to write me a message conveying your understanding concerning my writing. Thank you for your attention.

V.

I am really grateful to you for writing to me.I will certainly go to those sites you have mentioned.