• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Difference

Dear all,

Is there any difference between both these two sentences :

a)I remembered being sent the New year Greetings by you when you were in previous company.

b) I remembered the New Year Greetings being sent by you when you were in previous company.

As per my understanding, first one(underlined part) is a gerund phrase and the second one is participle phrase.

Re: Difference

a)I remembered being sent the New year Greetings by you when you were in previous company.

b) I remembered the New Year Greetings being sent by you when you were in previous company.

If we just discuss the actual meaning, and difference in meaning between the two sentences:
    If the first, you are emphasizing that you recall receiving the New Year's Greetings card (or however the greeting was conveyed) from this gentleman when he was with a previous company.

In the second, you are emphasizing that you recalled that it was he who sent you the New Year's greetings, at the time when he worked for a previous company.

However, we would not phrase it like that. We would say:
    I remembered your sending me a New Year's Greetings card when you were with a previous company.
    and
    I remembered that it was you who (kindly) sent me a New Year's Greetings card, when you were with a previous company.
    Last edited by David L.; 13-Nov-2007 at 04:00.