• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

someone BIG

My friend, who is a seaman, had a fight with his supervisor in the ship one night. It was really a heated argument and they badmouthing each other. My friend took off his uniform and threw it to his supervisor's face. He wasn't terminated though, because my friend is also a close friend of the hotel owner they're both in. But he was transferred to another department, away from the supervisor.

* What attitude does my friend show here, being confident because of someone big to support him?
    * What do you call that someone BIG to support him?

* I just wonder if there are English terms to what I was thinking...
    Thanks for the help.

Re: someone BIG

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    My friend, who is a seaman, had a fight with his supervisor in the ship one night. It was really a heated argument and they badmouthing each other. My friend took off his uniform and threw it to his supervisor's face. He wasn't terminated though, because my friend is also a close friend of the hotel owner they're both in. But he was transferred to another department, away from the supervisor.

* What attitude does my friend show here, being confident because of someone big to support him?

Thanks for the help.
    I was wondering how hotel owner has influence over the supervisor (captain?) of a ship????

I get the idea though. I would understand it more if it was a company where a man had a heated argument with his immediate supervisor. He even through some papers at this supervisor. He did this because he had a close relationship with the president of the company and knew he wouldn't be fired. He wasn't fired but he was transferred to another department to avoid future conflict with the supervisor.

First of all, how you described the man would depend on what the argument was about.

Was the man standing up for the company's reputation? Was the supervisor trying to force him to do something that was against company policy?

Was the man trying to defend himself from being verbally abused by the supervisor and finally lost his temper and confronted him?

Was the man a thief who had been caught by the supervisor stealing office supplies? The supervisor was disciplining the man and the man launched an attack of his own, knowing that he could not be fired.

The argument topic would influence my decision as to what I should use as a description for the man.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

The supervisor asked them to bring a banquet table to an upper floor but told them not to use the elevator. My friend, stubborn, used the elevator and as he got up the floor, the supervisor confronted him. That's where the conflict started...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The supervisor asked them to bring a banquet table to an upper floor but told them not to use the elevator. My friend, stubborn, used the elevator and as he got up the floor, the supervisor confronted him. That's where the conflict started...
    Hi, Blouen!

I share Naamplao's confusion about the incident you have described. The supervisor asked them to bring a banquet table to an upper floor... Who do you mean by 'them'? Secondly, you make it sound like the supervisor was waiting for 'them' when they reached the top floor. Did the supervisor run up the stairs to get to the top floor before your friend did?

My gentle suggestion is that you try to re-write your explanation so it is clearly stated. I don't see how being a seaman has anything to do with the incident.

I personally think your friend was insubordinate for not following the directive of his supervisor. The supervisor must have had a valid reason for telling your friend to not use the elevator. He is fortunate that he wasn't fired for his arrogance.

Often, it is not 'what' you know about something but rather 'who' you know that makes a difference. In your friend's case, he happened to know "Mr. Big".

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Well there are still many unanswered questions as Amigos4 confirmed but the fact remains that he failed to follow orders.

So your friend is insubordinate for not following orders. He is probably childish and insolent for getting into a verbal fight with the supervisor, although it is unclear who started the fight. He could be described as cocky in that he knew that his "protector"(Mr. Big) would not let him be fired.

My friend, who is a seaman, had a fight with his supervisor in the ship one night. It was really a heated argument and they were badmouthing each other. My friend took off his uniform and threw it [to] at his supervisor's face. He wasn't terminated though, because my friend is also a close friend of the hotel owner,whose hotel they were['re ] both in. But he was transferred to another department, away from the supervisor.

Using 'to' only shows directional/a limit to an action. We use 'at' in cases like this because it contains the meaning of anger/intent to hurt/etc.

He threw the ball/pen/book to me [for me to catch], versus He threw the ball/pen/book at me [to try to hurt me/hit me/etc.

He's sure of/confident of his position.

He knows/is friends with/is tight with the boss/a bigwig.

Thanks for the help.
    #

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Blouen!

I share Naamplao's confusion about the incident you have described. The supervisor asked them to bring a banquet table to an upper floor... Who do you mean by 'them'? Secon supervisor was waiting for 'them' when they reached the top floor. Did the supervisor run up the stairs to get to the top floor before your friend did?

My gentle suggestion is that you try to re-write your explanation so it is clearly stated. I don't see how being a seaman has anything to do with the incident.

I personally think your friend was insubordinate for not following the directive of his supervisor. The supervisor must have had a valid reason for telling your friend to not use the elevator. He is fortunate that he wasn't fired for his arrogance.

Often, it is not 'what' you know about something but rather 'who' you know that makes a difference. In your friend's case, he happened to know "Mr. Big".

Cheers,
    Amigos4
    * them = my friend and his colleagues
    * The supervisor took the elevator of course, my friend has to take the table first before going up so his supervisor got there ahead of them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    Well there are still many unanswered questions as Amigos4 confirmed but the fact remains that he failed to follow orders.

So your friend is insubordinate for not following orders. He is probably childish and insolent for getting into a verbal fight with the supervisor, although it is unclear who started the fight. He could be described as cocky in that he knew that his "protector"(Mr. Big) would not let him be fired.
    The supervisor somewhat talked bad at him and cursed him for not being subordinate to his orders. My friend told me that he fumed upon hearing the curses, that's why he throw his uniform at his supervisor.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

My Friend is:
    * insubordinate - because he was disobedient to his supervisor's directive

* childish - because he acted like a child getting himself in a fight

* insolent - because he is disrespectful of someone in authority

* cocky - because he is over confident of a bigwig he is tight with

* fortunate - because he's lucky not being axed for what he did

And it all comes down to this thing that...
    >>>He knows/is friends with/is tight with the boss/a bigwig.
    * He knows the boss/ bigwig.
    * He is friends with the boss/ bigwig.
    * He is tight with the boss/ bigwig.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

My Friend is:
    * insubordinate - because he was disobedient to his supervisor's directive

* childish - because he acted like a child getting himself in a fight

* insolent - because he is disrespectful of someone in authority

* cocky - because he is over confident of a bigwig he is tight with

* fortunate - because he's lucky not being axed for what he did

And it all comes down to this thing that...
    >>>He knows/is friends with/is tight with the boss/a bigwig.
    * He knows the boss/ bigwig.
    * He is friends with the boss/ bigwig.
    * He is tight with the boss/ bigwig.
    Blouen,

All of the above is correct usage! Congratulations!

Within my circle of friends, we would probably agree that your friend was 'tight with the boss'. However, the other examples you gave are also common usage.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast