I'm a girl but somebody called me "Hey! come on, men (or man). Hurry up!"

Is it alright? I thought "Hey! come on, girl. Hurry up!"

I'm so eager for your answer.

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards.

J.

Re: is it correct?

Oh dear! It's also happening in Korea.
    Let me explain by saying firstly, that in English, we sometimes have a different word for a person depending on whether they are male or female. So, a lawyer or a doctor could be male or female. But we say actor, and actress; Lindbergh was an aviator, Amerlia Ehrhardt was an aviatrix.
    Perhaps as some kind of over-reaction to eliminating sexism, some peoople no longer use the female form of these words, so that in America, Meryl Streep may be called a great "actor" by some people. Also over in the States, a group of people, boys and girls, might be referred to, as in, "Are you guys coming down to play?" Even a group of girls would be addressed, "You guys.."
    Now, as well, it is common to hear in Hollywood films, people say (to a friend) : "Hey, man, how's it going?" instead of using the person's name; or to a stranger, "Hey, man, don't touch my car!"
    So, in that greeting you mention, it seems you are on the receiving end of someone who has seen too many Hollywood movies!(lol)

Re: is it correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayee View Post
    Dear. someone (may be a teacher?)

Hi, I'm J from South Korea.

I have got a simple question.

I'm a girl but somebody called me "Hey! come on, men (or man). Hurry up!"

Is it alright? I thought "Hey! come on, girl. Hurry up!"

I'm so eager for your answer.

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards.

J.
    #1 Hey! come on, man. Hurry up!
    #2 Hey! come on, girl. Hurry up!

It would be unusual refer to you as a "man"

But "man" does not always refer to male gender....though I admit that in this case the person who called you should have said #2. If they said, "Hey, come on, men. Hurry up!" this would definitely used to call men only. If there were a mixture of men and women you would use "guys" instead of "men". If it was all women, a man might use "girls" but
    some women might take offense at being called a "girl"...but as a male I would probably get away with it if I said it with a smile in my eyes. If it was a woman calling the women she might use "girls" but probably use "guys"

"Man" is often used just as an interjection.

Man! Am I tired!

There is no gender in the use of "man" in the above sentence. A woman could say the same sentence and not feel awkward about it. It would seem funny to hear "Girl! Am I tired!" although I think I have heard this said between women a few times.

As said in the previous posting, "guys" has become gender neutral, as is in:

C'mon guys!

A man saying "C'mon gals" to a group of women would sound like a chauvinist pig nowadays.

One final comment.

Sometimes you might hear a person in authority (a military drill instructor for example) say to his male trainees "C'mon girls! let's put some effort into this!" In this case he is being sarcastic and thinks these men are not working hard enough.